Author Topic: Power Cord Reel Access  (Read 8742 times)

JimNCheryl Domenoe

Power Cord Reel Access
« on: December 07, 2014, 05:54:56 AM »
I am trying to replace the toggle switch on my power cord reel and can't figure out how to access the electrical connections.  The new switch comes with the 6 leads already attached to the switch terminals and with spade terminals on the wire ends.

My coach has no bedroom slide so the reel is below the nightstand on the street side of the coach.  I can't see any access panels since it is mounted beneath the nightstand which houses the safe.  Any idea how to get to it?

I know I could simply splice the new switch into the existing wires, but I would prefer not to.  Besides, I would like to know how to access the reel assembly in case I ever encounter a problem in the future.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Power Cord Reel Access
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 07:43:28 AM »
Jim
At least on ours that switch is easy.  If yours is like ours, it is a toggle switch just inside the power cord door.  The switch is mounted to a small pannel inside this door with a metal flange nut around the top of the switch.  Unscrew the flange nut and there should be enough extra wire to allow the switch to drop down.  I cleaned up the contacts and it works like new.
Also in the engine compartment via the lift door in back there is some access to the reel and so the switch.
Good luck!
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 03:03:10 PM »
Jim,
I know what your problem is, but the only way that I can see to access the contact board in the reel compartment on your coach would be through the rear of the enclosure via the engine bay access door. My 2000 Marquis has a bedroom slide, so I can access it through a removable door in the floor of the closet above it.

The wire from the switch to the contact board on my coach was spliced at the factory. That splice was what failed on my coach. So when my switch quit working and I was trouble shooting it, I found the corroded butt connectors in the middle of the wire that you are trying to replace. If you decide to splice the wire, be sure to check for a factory splice, and splice it in that location by cutting out the original splice.

Gerald     

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. It appears that the pre-terminated lead wires on the new switch are long enough to reach without any splices.  Looking from under the coach I can't see any factory splices. 

I will investigate further in the engine bay for an access point.  From my initial look the structure that must enclose the reel does not have any fasteners to undo to gain access to that area.   I will move some wire looms and check closer.

I will post pictures if I think it may help someone else in the future.

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »
Thanks, Keith. I will try your suggestion.  I have had the switch out but didn't try contact cleaner.  Probably should have tried that first.
Jim

At least on ours that switch is easy.  If yours is like ours, it is a toggle switch just inside the power cord door.  The switch is mounted to a small pannel inside this door with a metal flange nut around the top of the switch.  Unscrew the flange nut and there should be enough extra wire to allow the switch to drop down.  I cleaned up the contacts and it works like new.
Also in the engine compartment via the lift door in back there is some access to the reel and so the switch.
Good luck!
Keith

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:00:24 AM »
No luck finding access to the cord reel electrical board via the engine compartment.  I also found that the switch is sealed so I am not sure that contact cleaner will make its way to the contacts. 

I hate to splice the wires into a new switch, but I don't see an option at this point.  I would prefer to use the new switch and wires I already purchased.  I asked BCS and they can't tell me exactly how to get to it either.  What happens if the electric reel motor has a problem?  I would like to know for the future.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 10:41:47 AM »
Jim
In ours there is access via the engine compartment on the far left side past the overflow container.  The partition is wooden and painted black in ours.

If you have a can of spray electrical contact cleaner you can pull off the switch spray the connectors and use a small bit of emery on them.  Even a nail file will do.  For the spade connectors spray them good and I use a small brad nail to get inside them and scrape them good so contact is certain.  A very small brad wont spread the connector but you may have to spray it more than once.
Its a pain but it beats cut and splice.
Good luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Jerry Sanders

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
Jim,

Keith is correct about the location and access to the cable reel.  We have the same coach and there is a window on the left side of the engine compartment along with the wire termination strip for your new switch. Ours does not have a cover but that may have been removed by the PO.  I'll attach two pictures so that you can compare locations.

Jerry
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:13:47 PM by Jerry Sanders »

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »
Thanks for the info and photos.  I will take a look at mine tomorrow, but unless I am blind, there is no access panel where the photo shows yours is. I might have to cut a hole in it and make my own access hatch if, in fact, there isn't one there.

I'll keep you posted.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 03:46:08 AM »
Might there be an access door in the street side bedroom wardrobe floor?

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
Hey Jim, its odd that there is such a difference between your two coaches (see Jerry's pics).  I note in Jerrys, the large open square with the reel in it .  I think I see in yours a seam just below where that opening would be.  Could that be a fairly thin cover like even felt or cloth or venere just stapled in place like a cover?  Perhaps this has just been removed in Jerrys pics above.
Sorry, just cant pass up a mystery.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

JimNCheryl Domenoe

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 12:46:29 AM »
I just checked my coach for the access hatch to the cord reel and found nothing but a solid box.  There is no access from the engine compartment and no access from inside the coach, either.  The driver side night stand in the bedroom affords no access to the area.  I find this very odd that they have literally painted the reel motor into a corner in this manner.

I believe I may cut my own hatch in the engine bay in a location similar to the one in the picture.  The project will have to wait until after Christmas at this point.