Author Topic: Sewer Hose Storage  (Read 6779 times)

Dick Simonis

Sewer Hose Storage
« on: January 09, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »
Those of you that have coaches of this era know that the existing slinky storage is woefully inadequate and pretty much useless for it's intended purpose.  Well, the chap I'm working with to rebuild the front cabinets for a larger TV came up with a rather novel solution.

He has a recently acquired 2000 Marquis and loves to tinker with this sort of stuff.  First, which I didn't know, is that all the lower panels are hinged which make access to the back a piece of cake.  So he opened up the panel that has the slinky storage and found a lot of room back there.  He than removed the storage tube....leaving the door intact and built a wooden box behind the panel.  Now the entire hose, fittings and all slide in and drop down for storage.

I haven't seen it but it sound rather nice and took him 45 minutes from start to finish.  Apparently he put a hook behind the door that the hose tab attaches to and I suspect drain holes in the floor.

More than likely I will have him do this to mine while he has it for the TV upgrade.  Quite a resourceful chap and potentially a great source for anyone needing any mobile work down if you're in the Tucson area.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, LaMonte Monnell

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Sewer Hose Storage
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:17:39 PM »
Dick
There is actualy a thread on this somewhere in the forum.  Basicaly our experience was the same as yours until I figured out that that cheap 3inch hose and the smallest fitting fits nicely in there and is handy.  On occasion we are just pulling through a dump station and this hose comes out, has just enough reach and is easy to clean and replace.
When we are parked we use the big hose but for convience this little hose is just the deal!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 05:56:59 PM »
I did the same thing on our PT and the short hose was OK for that purpose.  The longer one I normally use is stuffed into the bay by the water panel but it sure would be nice to have it somewhere else.

My understand with the box is that it can hold the longest hose without a problem so there is a lot of appeal in that arrangement.  Just might have to do this.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:37:38 PM »
We have one of those $5 walmart storage totes that is just about 5inches tall.  The large hose with the fittings fits in there nicely and I rinse it out now and then.
Given your description, I would be concerned about clean up.
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Don Stewart

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 12:28:58 AM »
Can anyone post pictures of any of this? Always interested in new ideas.

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 01:01:25 AM »
I use some totes for sewer hose storage. The Camco Evolution hose works well with the totes. The end caps keep the hose compact and collapsed and leak free while in the tote. The inadequate RV built in storage tube with door on the side of the coach holds a 50 to 30 amp adapter nicely as an alternative.

Later Ed

Keith Oliver

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 02:51:16 AM »
 My solution is one of avoidance.  The hose that I use is not the 3" slinky.  Those were never designed to be attached permanently, but that is exactly how they are used on most coaches.  Frequently, the hose will be smelly on the outside, since this kind of plastic will permit the smell to permeate the hose and offend your neighbours.  Camping World (and other stores) sells a 1" hose made of thicker plastic, http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/sewer-solution/16617 that works as a clean way to dump, and if left attached, will take years longer to start to smell and offend.  I bought one of these a couple of years ago and I will never go back to the "Stinky Slinky" except for dump station use.  My old 3" is in the tote, where it will stay, with both ends closed securely.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 03:48:08 AM »
The advantage to using a 3" slinky is that the suction created when opening the drain valve helps pull all the waste out of the tank. A 1" hose won't create this suction. I've got a macerator but use it only when I have to run it an extended distance. Storage for the slinkys is one in the coach wall and one in a tub with the needed connections.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp