Author Topic: Velvac mirrors stuck.  (Read 4056 times)

Rod Ogle

Velvac mirrors stuck.
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
  Our coach has the Velvac Model 2030 bus style, triple head mirrors. The center (flat glass) section on our mirrors would not adjust using the remote controls on the driver’s console.  I checked this forum (wonderful resource) to see if others had reported the same problem but found nothing like our issue.

I could hear the motors run when trying to adjust them and they might wiggle a bit but would not move much at all.  The problem was the same for right and left hand mirrors. The top and bottom sections of both mirrors would move as expected.

I assumed the motors for the flat glass section would have to be replaced, so I called Velvac customer support for some assistance.  The technician was extremely helpful and asked if the coach had spent much time in the desert South West.  He said that the dusty desert environment sometimes caused the mirror motor mechanism to become caked with dirt and dust.  Before replacing motors,  the technician recommended pushing the glass as far to one side as possible and squirting WD-40 or Silicone spray behind the glass, then work the mirror, by hand, left to right and up and down.  I did this a couple of times and it worked!  The silicone spray I used freed up the motor mechanism and I now have full range of motion for both mirrors.  Good advice from Velvac and an inexpensive fix.

Rod Ogle – Salem OR
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT C-12
2013 RAM 1500 4X4
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Velvac mirrors stuck.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:58:04 PM »
Rod you may possibly be at a limit, you might try to move the mirror unit to see if you can then get the required movment. If during a wash or perhaps someone bumped the the mirror, I have done this before you only have so much adjustment with the motors and it sound like you can hear and see the mirror seeking but at a limit.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:14:42 PM »
Rod,

Thanks for the info, mine work fine but we spend all winter here in Az. Now I thinking I should bag the mirrors just to keep the dirt out.

Rod Ogle

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:28:43 AM »
Lee

Bagging the mirrors might be a good idea if you spend a lot of time in the desert.  Windy and dusty in the desert????...Well some times for sure :)

We bought our coach in November from a dealer in Tucson, I learned later that it had spent most of it's life in the great SW and thus exposed to a lot of the desert dirt and dust.  Rinsing the motor assy off with silicone was an easy remedy, thanks to the friendly technician from Velvac,

Rod Ogle -Salem OR
 2004 Patriot Thunder
 2013 Ram 1500 4X4

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 04:17:01 AM »
Rod,

Yeah we are here from Oct to April each year and down here in San Tan Valley we do get our share of dust and dirt. Last yr we were here when one of those massive dust storms hit.