Author Topic: Sanitize your Holding tanks  (Read 5531 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Sanitize your Holding tanks
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:50:56 AM »
   Hello fellow Coach Guys,
Something I share with my luxury coach friends is they have the resources to keep their tanks clean, dump valves operational and tank probes accurate. If you have an Aqua Hot, Hydro Hot or Hurricane, you have an unlimited source of 120 degree hot water. Go to Ace hardware and buy the faucet adapter that will fit your water bay swing faucet (see foto). Fire up your Aqua Hot on diesel and get her up to temperature. Attach a hose from the faucet to your tank flusher. (don't worry about contaminating your water because the flusher goes thru a vacuum breaker on the way to the tank) Put 6 ounces of DAWN ultra down the toilet and fill the tank. Let it sit for about an hour or so and then dump. The grey tank you may have to be more creative depending how your coach is configured. Add your favorite recipe for oder control. I do this twice a year and save money.
   Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Lee Welbanks

Re: Sanitize your Holding tanks
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:30:34 AM »
Fred,

I had thought about doing that very thing, on my coach it is even better because they added a diverter valve in the flush line so you can do both gray and black. My tanks must be pretty clean because I never get any odor and when I flush the tanks I do it until the drain water is clear. I usually dump some cleaner soap in the tanks and add a little water on the way out of town, so by the time we get to a RV park the solution has done its job.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »
    Lee,
 Sounds like your a real conscientious guy and gotta grip on how it it all works. If your a full timer, it is easy to let this kind of maintenance get over looked. I'm just suggesting how to get the slimey build up off the interior walls of the tanks. Hope everyone has a great RV season and gets to enjoy all the in-laws and out-laws.
    Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Wayne Ogren

Frank Towle

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 04:39:54 AM »
Great ideas Fred & Lee...

I have also discovered an excellent cleaning product for many of our 'dirty' items around the coach.  Especially good for destroying the organic crud in holding tanks.  The product is called 'Stain Solver' and is a highly concentrated organic powder oxygen bleach. 

I add 4 to 6 ounces to the 1-2 gallons of warm water after dumping the black water tank.  Use san-t-flush to agitate the solution as much as possible, let stand for an hour or so and then drain.  StainSolver will continue to work for 4 to 6 hours, has no odor of itself, non-caustic, totally organic.

Order direct @ StainSolver.com.  Use Promo Code: 'RV10' to receive a 10% discount.  You will want to purchase the 9.2 lb container when you see all the cleaning chores that are made easier with this product.

Best Regards, 

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:21:49 AM by Frank Towle »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 10:17:51 PM »
One futher note: For the hose I bought a hot water hose for a clothes washer and a male to male brass adaptor. Just long enough from the faucet to the flush out fitting.