Author Topic: Tow Vehicle Question  (Read 6764 times)

Randy Perry

Tow Vehicle Question
« on: May 31, 2015, 02:49:57 AM »
I've been flat towing my Jeep TJ for years and have been thinking of getting my wife a new car. So, I was wondering if I can flat-tow a Cadillac SRX and what would I need to do to it in order to tow it? 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:54:04 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Bill Sprague

Re: Tow Vehicle Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »
Jerry,

The easiest way to do this is to take advantage of the lists provide by the FMCA and Motorhome Magazine each January.  The lists are both published and on line at the respective websites.

Once you pick a car from the list, verify from the owners manual that it can be towed. 

If not on the list, a company called Remco may have modifications for the car such as a "drive line disconnect".

I've not seen many Cadillac as towed vehicles, but maybe it works. 

John Shannon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »
Randy, we tow a 2013 SRX, fwd.  we have towed it for about 10k miles with no problem. We had CW install our tow bar and wiring along with a braking system. Very easy to hookup and tow.
John Shannon
2008 Contessa, 42' C9 425 HP
2018 Lincoln MKX

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 09:10:18 PM »
Bill touts one of the best ideas, but the FMC Magazine's January issue I believe is more thorough if not more reliable;  Motorhome's guide didn't include the Ford Edge, for example, and FMC Magazine did.  Motorhome also has a lot of ads you have to put up with.  As an FMCA member you may already have a copy of theirs, but if you want another "viewpoint" you can see Motorhome's online as a PDF here:   http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/ 

A few years back I had a question about some vehicle's report I read in FMC Magazine and exchanged a few emails with their editor(s).  I was exceedingly impressed with the thoroughness of their answers, their genuine concern, and the extent of research they had to have gone into just for me.  They had a team of automotive authorities dedicated just to the guide, although Motorhome may also.  As I recall it did result in a slight modification in the report configurations of future FMC guides.

Keep in mind always that they can only report what they are given by the vehicle manufacturers.  Manufacturers regularly change their minds, and what may be true in January may not be so in February.  About 10 years ago, Honda (and Toyota I think) went through a spell of approving cars for towing, having bigtime warranty issues with trannys, etc., and then withdrawing approval.  What engineers think will work towed 4 down in a new drivetrain invention, may not in fact work in the real world.  Thus it is a real advantage to have venues like this Forum where you can know how existing owners have fared with a particular vehicle, including older models if you're buying used.

I can say that FMC editors go the extra mile to confirm what they eventually print, and have only their members' interests at heart.  Nevertheless, always firm up with a vehicle's owners manual and with the manufacturer itself that it is towable 4 down before putting it behind your coach.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Margaret Cook

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 03:23:36 AM »
We tow a 2012 SRX FWD and have for over a year now. Only issue We had was the battery going dead during a 5-6 hour day. We use a Brake Buddy system.

We added a charge wire with a fuse direct from the battery to the electrical connection and it fixed the issue. All it takes is pushing down on a plastic pin under the shifter console and putting the vehicle in neutral and connecting the tow bar and wiring harness.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl
The following users thanked this post: Margaret Cook

Randy Perry

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 12:52:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, guess I need to pick a tow vehicle first!!

Kathy Pylar

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 02:37:55 AM »
Ok so I don't really post on the forum very often....but... I have to share this tow vehicle discussion.  We have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee we got in December of 2013.  We put 15000 miles on it towing with no problem.  Then we took it in to a Jeep dealer for a oil change.  They told us there was a recall on the transmission and they would fix it.  They did.  Well after the fix we had jerky and whip lash and no power after taking off from a stop.  Then we left our winter home and started towing it.  It started wobbling and we thought we had a flat tire.  To make a long story short.....we have bought a new blue ox tow  bar. Discontinued use of brake buddy.  Had the Contessa checked out thoroughly and came to the conclusion it is the Jeep.  Jeep tells us there is another fix for the transmission coming out in July.  We are missing second gear from the fix. 

Anyone that has a 2014 jeep Cherokee, do not get the recall fixed until till jeep knows what they are doing.  We had no problems before the fix.  Anyone having these issues let me know. The Jeep goes back to service Monday.  We do not feel safe towing this vehicle and will be forced to leave it behind when we head east from Denver to our rallies in the Midwest.  So I would suggest researching the current  Jeep Cherokee for a tow vehicle until this issue is resolved.  I will let you know what we find out.   This is our tenth jeep. We had several jeep liberty's and never a problem.  We love our jeep Cherokee and hope they can fix this issue.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:23:11 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley