Author Topic: Western Canadian Trip - your ideas?  (Read 4514 times)

BJ Sprague

Western Canadian Trip - your ideas?
« on: June 03, 2015, 07:47:45 PM »
Bill and I are considering a longer trip through western Canada.  I've been doing some preliminary planning for two routes.  The first route takes us farther north and the second route concentrates on the Canadian Rockies.  I'd like feedback from fellow Beaver travelers - your thoughts and recommendations, especially from those who have spent time RVing in BC.

Route 1 - North from our home in Milton (near Seattle) to Prince George, then on to Whitehorse; Whitehorse to Jasper; Jasper to Banff; Banff to Revelstoke; Revelstoke to Penticton; Penticton through the Okanogan; home via 97 to 90.  We've traveled through Banff and Jasper before, also done much of the Okanogan, but not farther north.  The route is basic, is designed to cover some territory, and should be expanded for stops and side trips.

Route 2 - East from home on 90 to 97 through the Okanogan; 97A through Kelowna to Revelstoke; Revelstoke to Banff and Jasper; Jasper west on Hwy 16 to Hwy 5 to 5A; 5A to 97C; south on 97 to Penticton through Okanogan; west on 20 for side trip to Twisp; south on 97 to 90 and home.  Possible overnights for this route include Okanogan, Vernon, Revelstoke, Banff, Jasper, Valemount, Blue River, McClure, Penticton and Twisp.

No hurry, several nights at most stops, time for side trips.

Thanks in advance :)

BJ
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:40:21 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Gerald Farris

Re: Canadian Trip - your ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »
BJ,
The only thing that I feel that I should suggest is that if you decide to go to Whitehorse, include a side trip to Skagway AK. The drive from the top of the pass down into Skagway is beautiful and the area is rich in history from the gold rush days.

Gerald
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:40:45 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Les Brandt

Re: Canadian Trip 2016 - your ideas?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:17:12 AM »
I lived in Calgary AB for 23 years and spent a lot of time in the Rockies. Definitely a majestic place! Besides a few days spent in Banff, make sure you stop at Lake Louise and Morraine Lake.

Once you get into BC. You could easily spend a few days in the Okanagan area. I have lived in Coldstream BC now for 15 years just above Kalamalka Lake, the "Jewel of the Okanagan".
The area from Sicamous on Hwy 1 going south on Hwy 97 travels all the way down through Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton to Osoyoos you travel along lakes and through some of the best Wineries in the world. A good wine tour never hurt anyone!
The Okanagan Valley is very similar to Napa, CA. Very dry and hot. Perfect grape/fruit growing temperatures.

BJ Sprague

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 04:39:04 AM »
Gerald - Thanks for the idea on the Skagway highway.  Bill's great grandpa had a tin shop in Skagway during the gold rush days.  It would be fun to make that drive.

Les - Thanks for the wine country idea and tips on Lake Louise.  I think this will be a great trip.

Looking forward to some wild and beautiful country and putting some Canadian miles on the motorhome.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:42:05 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 06:11:15 AM »
Ref. Gerald's note, since we went on a cruise ship to Alaska in 2003, I've always wanted to return to Skagway via motorhome.  There is at least one campground there, right next to the railroad track that winds from Skagway up to White Pass.  We took that rail trip and could see the highway on the other side of the gorge.  It looked like a long haul down to sea level but I remember dreaming about coming down that in a nice new diesel someday.  Now I've got the diesel (ain't so new anymore but still is nice), but haven't had time to get back to Alaska (and the great Sockeye fishin'!)

Since my mother was born on the Alberta prairie, I've made many trips to BC and AB.  If I got started on my recommendations here, the data load would overwhelm the Forum's server.  So hopefully we'll meet on the road somewhere before your trip, Bill & BJ, and you can pick my brain a bit.

-Joel (aka hafcanadian)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:42:33 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
We visited the Royal Tyrrell palaeontology museum in Drumheller Alb. yesterday. Very interesting and unique. If one has any interest in prehistoric creatures, this is the place. Drumheller is about 100 miles east of Calgary in an area similar to the SD badlands. http://traveldrumheller.com/index.php/directory/6-Royal-Tyrrell-Museum
Steve
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:43:51 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Brown

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 11:33:46 PM »
BJ & Bill, 

Nova and I have made the trip north thru BC & Alberta on several trips going to/from Alaska.  Should you decide to head up toward Whitehorse & Skagway, do consider going up/down the Cassiar Highway, and take the side trip over to Stewart, BC & Hyder, AK.  I believe it's about a a 50 mile side trip off the Cassiar over to Stewart.  Take the road around the end of the bay to Hyder.  There's a bear viewing area in Hyder, so you can watch the bears do their fishing for salmon, also a very pretty drive just outside of town that has you looking down on Salmon Glacier and the surrounding area.  Very pretty.  There is at least one RV park in Stewart, & a small one in Hyder.    The Cassiar Highway is much more scenic then the traditional ALCAN, in my opinion although not as finished.  If you make it to Whitehorse, there's even more to go see/do.  Plus it's not really very far over to Dawson City.    Something else to consider, if you make it down into Skagway, the Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) runs between Skagway & Haines, AK.  It's about an hour long ferry ride, cost almost what it would cost to drive your rig back up the road from Skagway to Whitehorse.   If you decide to head that far into BC & Yukon, do consider buying The Milepost guide.  It's very informative and will help with historical, RV Parks, fueling places, etc.

Have a great triip.  If you get all the way to Dawson City, there's the ferry across the Yukon and Chicken, AK  on the road heading toward Tok.

Bill & Nova Brown
06 Beaver Montery, Laguna IV
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:43:30 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley