Author Topic: M and G Brake self install  (Read 5396 times)

Adam Hicklin

M and G Brake self install
« on: June 11, 2015, 07:50:32 AM »
I read a thread from a few years ago about self installing an M and G brake system.  I'm considering it. I'm not worried about the toad part, but I'm a little hesitant on tapping the brake line.  Has anyone here actually done it? Is it doable for someone with slightly above average mechanical ability?

Gerald Farris

Re: M and G Brake self install
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
Adam,
It is very doable, and M&G can furnish you with the needed parts. Some toads require extra needed changes like moving a battery or fuse box to gain enough room for the M&G cylinder. Just talk to the people at M&G, they will walk you through the installation.

One other thing is that your 98 Marquis may already have the air brake line factory installed for the M&G brake. My 2000 Marquis had the air line installed and plugged beside the receiver.

Gerald

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:32:53 AM »
No such luck Gerald.  Like I said, the toad installation is pretty straight forward.  It's going on a Silverado with plenty of room in the booster/master cylinder area.  So on the coach brakes there are two lines which go to each brake diaphragm.  One line from each diaphragm goes to a common relay valve mounted center directly above the drive shaft.  The other line from each diaphragm goes to a separate valve mounted on each frame rail, left and right.  How do I determine which is the service line and where is the best place to tap it, at the diaphragm or at the relay valve?

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 05:59:25 AM »
Got the coach side done today. Not as bad as I was expecting. Now on to the toad side..

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 05:41:23 AM »
Toad side done with a little help from a friend.  Pretty straight forward with a little creativity to make it interesting. Now to hook them together to see if it actually works. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:30:33 AM by Gerald Farris »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley