Author Topic: 2002 Monterey, 350 Cummins power up  (Read 5190 times)

Robert Paisley

2002 Monterey, 350 Cummins power up
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:42:51 PM »
I have been sneaking up on turning the power up a little on my 350 Cummins.
I added a boost gauge, pyrometer, and mechanical boost controller.
Adding some fuel and some boost are the next steps.

I have to figure out if I should upgrade the lift pump. This seems to be a common recommendation.
Apparently, the stock configuration has the lift pump running only for a few seconds at engine start up.
This is a 2002 8.3 ISC engine with the CAPS fuel system.

Two questions for anyone who has been through this process:
Should I add an aftermarket lift pump that runs all the time?
Where exactly is my original lift pump located?

Thanks,
Robert

Bill Sprague

Re: 2002 Monterey, 350 Cummins power up
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:08:38 PM »
On a Cummins, the "lift pump" has a single purpose.  It "lifts" fuel from the fuel pump to the engine.  It is there because most fuel tanks on trucks and motorhomes are below the engine.  Since it can be a long run from the tank to the engine it is likely that some fuel may drain back to the tank when the engine is not running.  That fuel will be replaced by air.  In other words, their can be air in the fuel line from the tank.  The "real" fuel pump and injector system can't stand having any air in it.  So, the "lift pump" runs for long enough to flush fresh fuel up from the tank, past the "real" fuel pump and back to the tank via a return line.  Then, when the engine starts, the "real" pump sees nothing but fresh fuel.  When running, the "real" pump does it all and the "lift" pump is useless. 

It is mounted on the engine.  Mine was replace once a few years ago when it began leaking.  The theory at the time was that the leak was caused by the switch to ULSD caused O-rings to shrink. 

Since I'm typing, I'll offer an opinion which may be worthless to you.  It is to not screw around with the engine.  The Cummins installation in the Monterey has been bullet proof.  It never runs hotter than 185 on the hottest days over the steepest hills.  On ours, we've need only the lift pump and an exhaust manifold gasket in 123,820.5 miles.  After having tested the lowly 350 HP engine on a 35 mile run up and down three 6%+ hills against a similar Beaver with a 455HP Cat, I was only "behind" by a minute or two in a 5 hour day.  I just don't see any point in trying to push up the performance.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:18:04 PM by Bill Sprague »

Robert Paisley

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
Hi Bill,
My impression is that the lift pump runs all the time on many MH fuel systems.
And that it only primes the system on the 8.3 CAPS engine installations as you state.
I didn't realize that it had a return line back to the tank.
Do you know if there is a fuel system diagram somewhere for the Roadmaster Magnum chassis with CAPS ISC?

Robert

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »
...I didn't realize that it had a return line back to the tank.
Do you know if there is a fuel system diagram somewhere for the Roadmaster Magnum chassis with CAPS ISC?

Robert
All diesel systems that I know of use a return line system.  Even the "real" pump draws more fuel than needed with the excess going back to the tank.  I have no idea where to look for a fuel system diagram.  It should be pretty obvious if you crawl under it and look for the two lines.