Author Topic: Roof Top A/C filter access?  (Read 2973 times)

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
Roof Top A/C filter access?
« on: June 26, 2015, 06:32:53 PM »
Can anyone tell me where to find the filter(S) for the roof top A/C units on my 05 Thunder? I know they typically have filters on the inside but of course we all have those large decorative panels in the ceilings. Do these panels need to come down? If so , any tricks i.e. do they have hinges on one side? Or is there some central location with a filter that I haven't yet discovered?
Thanks for any advice,
Dwight
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:36:35 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

neil omalley

Re: Roof Top A/C filter access?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »
Hi Dwight: I have the same coach and yes the panels have to come down. It will take 2men and a boy to do the job:) You have to remove bolts in the pieces attached to the roof and slide the whole assembly forward to drop the ceiling panel. As I recall the whole thing does not need to come down as it will swing on the attach points. After you clean the filters, you will have to do the reverse,of course. This is where it get tricky a/c you have to line up the aforementioned bolt holes. Good luck. To me this was one of the more stupid designs they came up with. All this effort just to wash out the filter. I had RV outfitters cut a square in the panel and construct a removable intake so I don't have to go through this drill every time.

Mike Groves

Re: Roof Top A/C filter access?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:29:48 PM »
On this same point, but regarding my coach, a '99 Marquis, my "filters" are actually curled filter material wedged into the inlets in my ceiling in the sides of the structures rather than cut into the facing of the wood panels from below. 

There are several vent openings along the side of the dropped ceiling to which the wood panels are attached, some inlet, some outlet and the inlet ones have filter material wedged into them.  Now that someone with a newer coach has to take down the ceiling panels, I wonder if the previous owner of mine simply decided this was easier, to just plug the inlet openings with the filter material. 

Perhaps in mine there is also a filter within the wood panel.  Tom Brown or anyone with a '99 how do you clean/replace your AC filters?  I know that in 2000 then went with the cutouts, but my wood is solid panel.

I've just been pulling these, washing them, and pushing them back into position.

Thanks,
Mike