Author Topic: ECM Tune on Cat engine  (Read 5525 times)

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
ECM Tune on Cat engine
« on: July 10, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »
Hello Everyone

Just thought I would let you know that I recently did an ecm tune on my Cat c13-525 with amazing results. If you are unhappy with the performance and mileage with your Coach this is the way to go.

With the ECM tune I picked up an extra 400ft lbs to the rear wheels on the dyno plus 120hp . We just completed a 3000 mile trip to Colorado with some big climbs and no problem here is the link on the dyno on you tube  https://youtu.be/dl--fZLzPOo

For more information contact Jon Brazel at Brazels RV Performance in Centraila Wa you won't be disappointed.

Paul Champagne 2006 Patriot Thunder
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Mike Groves

Re: ECM Tune on Cat engine
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 07:27:24 PM »
Paul,

What was your fuel economy before, and after? 

Thanks,
Mike

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:34:16 AM »
Hi Mike

Before ECM tune was averaging 5.5 after this last trip still at 5.5 but there were lots of big grades im sure I will pick up 1 mile per gallon on my regular routes that I take
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:39:25 AM »
Paul,

The way that torque and HP are increased is with increasing the fuel being provided and that in turn increases combustion chamber heating, piston heating, turbo boost pressure, and turbo heating. You experienced a very significant increase in torque and HP over what was stock. I do not know if this puts your engine outside of the range of HP and torque that this engine and drivetrain was meant to produce in a road application or not. I do not know at what point your engine durability would be seriously degraded. You may want to discuss this change with Cat and get their take on this program change.

I know regarding the C12, going from the 455hp to the 505HP version Cat did piston redesigns with increased oil flow to cool them as well as ring redesigns to be more robust. That was just for a 50HP increase.

Your engine program results results are great, just wondering if there is a downside and any engine warranty being provided by the folks that made the changes, if anything does go south. Not sure what happens if you have an extended warranty, would the insurer accept these changes and pay for engine repairs....

Later Ed

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:16:50 PM »
Hi Ed

I kept a close eye on the temp and tranny settings and there was no change from stock settings but good comments I will ask the mfg about your concerns.Diesel spec is the mfg and have been doing big 18 wheel rigs for years with good results. Hopefully mileage will improve

Thanks

Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »
Paul,

I was just making you aware of the possible issues and I am not trying to be any kind of over reacting alarmist here. Obviously Cat makes a strong engine and we are somewhat light duty in motorhome application compared to tractor trailers doing heavy long hauls. That being said, there has to be a point at which these engines are being pushed beyond the design limits, we just do not know where that point is. Maybe Cat engineering can provide you with some kind of perspective.

In the end only you have to be comfortable and happy with the coach and if the performance was a troubling issue for you and you are happy now, then it may be a rational trade off for you to accept some durability risk in favor of the performance improvement. My post was just in case you were unaware.

You always wonder a bit when you post a possible downside, that maybe I might have offended someone, but the forum is for educating us all and hopefully I have not crossed any line here.

Later Ed