Author Topic: Extreme Simple Green  (Read 6296 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Extreme Simple Green
« on: July 11, 2015, 04:11:14 AM »
Just to clue you in, I ran across some Extreme Simple Green at Fred Meyer the other day, in a 32oz spray bottle.  As many here know from previous threads, it is better to use for cleaning aluminum materials, such as many of our radiators' fins, than regular Simple Green.  Though Freddie's is a Northwest chain, it could be a sign that Extreme Simple Green is available at other common retailers now also.  ;D

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
Re: Extreme Simple Green
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 04:51:01 AM »
Hi Joel,

Just read your thread on extreme simple green and was wondering how your clean your radiator fins? 
This is something on my to do list but want to do it right?

Thank you in advance!

Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 07:13:20 AM »
I'm going to have to admit I haven't technically "cleaned" my fins yet, beyond a rinse while cleaning the coach.  But a few years back I read posts here and I think on the CAT Club site about radiator cleaning, and looked into it for future use.  I have cleaned other car radiators and engines in years past, but not the Beaver's since it doesn't exhibit much sticky dirt yet.

Rather than repeat it all here, I defer you to the previous discussions so you'll have a better idea of things.  Just punch in "Simple Green" to the Search field at the top of this page, and review some of the threads.

Generally, use Extreme Simple Green in lieu of the more common basic S.G.  Spray it from squeeze bottle or diluted concentrate in other type of sprayer, from both sides of the radiator/cooler/condenser complex, coating as deeply as possible.  Let it sit awhile but keep it misted wet meantime.  Then thoroughly rinse from both sides, gently so no fins are bent. 

That's why I wouldn't use a power washer as some people have been known to do.  And try not to get too much effluent on the engine; there are components there that don't like to get inundated.  Some run the engine so moving air draws fluid deep into the fin complex, but I'd expect the resulting heat to dry the cleaner out too fast, so I wouldn't do that.  Just my 2 cents.

Check out the old threads  ;) .

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 07:16:56 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »
My take on cleaning
The side radiator stack has a gap between the radiator and A/C cooler.  This traps dirt which limits airflow to both.
use a coarse stream from a garden hose to sprY between the two and slowly soak the dirt out.
use a strong fan typr spray to flow through the fins on each unit which will leave more dirt between again so repeat step one.
now spray the simple green as mentioned above.  Soak all three units real well and let sit for a few minutes.  Now rinse all three units very well and get between the two big units again.  Use only a fan spray so it wont bend any fins.  If you can use hot water it helps.
check your fan blades for cracks along with the fan mounting bracket.

This is my version.  I have used it on two coaches and all the roof air conditioners.

Hope this helps.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 09:19:05 PM »
All,

Sounds like a good plan.  I will give it a try after procuring some extreme green. 

Thanks for the tap back!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:59:49 AM »
After cleaning my side rad stack similarly to the way Keith described, I fabbed a closeout panel to fill the large gap (about 1 1/2-2 inches) between the bottom of the CAC and the bottom of the rad. My theory is that road throw-up from the rear tires is directly in line with this gap and may be the reason that my rad had much more dirt in the fins than did the CAC (CAC is outboard of the rad), since the fan-induced airflow would tend to suck this "stuff" up through the gap directly into the rad fins.

The other benefit I thought I'd see is that closing off this gap also forces ALL the cooling air through the CAC before it can get to the rad, benefitting intake air temps..

Is this a reasopnable theory? Have I perhaps introduced another problem by blanking off this gap?
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Dan Murphy

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
Since we have been sitting at home for a while it seems shining and polishing has been the daily agenda. I did clean my radiators out with the Simple Green the other day.We took a short trip this past weekend and the weather was hot and humid about 86*. I noticed that my temps were running about 6* cooler then before the clean-up.
I did not use the Extreme product as I forgot the significance and just bought the regular Simple Green.At any rate I was happy to see a difference!

The bad news was we got 5 inches of rain while camping and driving so now the coach is a mess again. Clean-up just never ends. It sure looked good pulling into that CG though we were turning lots of heads!!