Author Topic: Entry door floor slide.  (Read 24092 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Entry door floor slide.
« on: July 12, 2015, 01:00:58 AM »
2000 Beaver Marquis Amethyst.
   The door entry floor slide refuses to retract. It is air operated. I have power to both switches.
   Could there be a fuse or a relay hiding somewhere?
    Help!!  It is really difficult for my 2 spaniels to make the jump out of the coach.   Jane and I are  using a step ladder.
     Thanks,  Jeremy.

Steve Jewell

Re: Entry door floor slide.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 01:16:10 AM »
Jeremy,  The air solenoid that controls that is in the left front electrical compartment. It is mounted on the front wall.

Steve J

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 01:42:58 AM »
Jeremy,

In case the solenoid isn't the problem, the wiring for the switch should be;
   -2 vertical tangs on the top (or bottom) of switch with one wire attached. This should be GND.
   -2 sets of 3 horizontal tangs with wires on 3 of them.
   - tang closest to vertical (GND ) tang is "Step Cover Open". Wire # is 131A.
    -center horizontal tang is 12V. Should be there all the time.
    -bottom horizontal tang is "Step Cover Closed". Wire# is 131B

I think you switch 12v and GND depending on whether you've selected open or closed so you should be able to check this if you can get to the switch.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 02:20:18 PM »
Mine was also acting up and it was a bad passenger side switch.  IN the meantime you should be able to move the cover manually.  Try putting you foot on it and just sliding it open.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 03:45:22 PM »
                     Hi Jeremy,

If you want imeadiate relief and access, after you park, set your park brake and turn off the engine, Pump the brake pedal repeatedly until you have NO air pressure on either needle of the air guage. You will now be able to manually push the step cover back in. The solenid in the electrical compartment that Steve mentioned is where I would start. It is a shuttle valve that has an air source supply. It has 2 air hoses going to the air cylinder that actuates the step cover. The dash or passenger switch tell the soleniod which way to shuttle and direct air to either side of the air cylinder thus extending or retracting the step cover. Start by having someone push the switch while you observe the solenoid and listen for activation of the valve. Check for 12volt going to the solenoid when the switch is depressed. Check for air pressure going to the valve and air going back out to either discharge hose going to the cylinder. It's actually fun to divide and conquor and it will lead you to your issue.

Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 04:44:08 PM »
Hello Fred,
  I did as you suggested .Then installed a fibre glass rod into the slot to stop the panel sliding back out.
  In the electrical bay under drivers window I see a flat black plastic part about 5 inches long, 1.5 inches deep and 2.5 inches high.. It has a solenoid at one end that is hot to touch .There are 2 air lines attached underneath and one on top. There is power to the solenoid. 
  I replaced the passenger side switch.  It lights so it has power as does the dash switch.
   Do you know the part number/make etc. I need to replace this part ?
                 Thanks,  Jeremy

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 07:17:50 PM »
                    Jeremy, I'll drive over my storage location and see if I can get a number off of the one on my coach. You have correctly identified the solenoid from your description. My only concern for your safety is if this rod you installed to trap the cover fails and someone is standing in the step well, they will get seriously hurt......I mean like broken bones. I would find which of the bottom 2 air lines are feeding air pressure to the step cover air cylinder and disconnect it from the solenoid and purchase a pipe plug to replace the fitting & hose until you can repair this.     

Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 11:56:33 PM »
           Jeremy, Went and looked at the valve hoping the get a name or model # unfortunately I did not bring any tools to remove it and look on the back side. I'm thinking maybe a "Norgren" anyway, if your inclined to this kind of repair, Beaver coach parts will probably have it. I would try and find it independently and save 70 percent.  The silver valves on the bottom regulate air flow, may be able to shut off air flow then unplug the solenoid to eliminate the electrical draw on your batteries until fixed.   

Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:00:17 AM »
Good reply, Fred.  I was thinking along the same lines about his bracing back the cover - not that safe.  Just popping off and plugging the air supply temporarily is better.

In my Monterey's electric bay is a combination of valve/solenoids.  Don't know which is which, but the two-part, square black and silver boxed one with two black "out" hoses likely depends on the other round silver solenoid that has one "in" and one "out" blue hose, and which is apparently "upstream" or first in line from the air tanks.  I'm guessing the blue hose "T'd" in between them goes to the door seal bladder, which should have its own tranny-controlled solenoid under the right front coach corner somewhere.  The two-box contraption then probably controls the opening and closing of the step cover.

Does that sound about right, or am I getting things turned around?  The one black box is made by Humphrey, #D1052, 4.5 watts;  but your Marquis' may be different.  Couldn't see any numbers on the cylindrical solenoid, although they may be covered by its large mounting strap.

-Joel
Addendum:  you posted again before I got this one in, and yes, you fellows' Marquis configuration is different than mine.  I was thinking along the lines that if he removed the wrong hose, he might lose air to the door bladder(s) too, no big deal.  As long as he capped it off so as to not end up with a constant air drain.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:16:31 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 01:42:32 AM »
         Hi Joel,  I'm pretty sure the solenoid to the right of those 2 relays are the step cover solenid. You raise a good question, does my coach have an air bladder seal for the entry door? Like I shared earlier, my '00 Marquis is only 10 months old to me and just loving the challanges and quality. I can sure see why people are so dedicated and knowledgable about these classics.   Thanks, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 02:35:57 AM »
Yes Fred, you're right, this Forum is a font of knowledge for all of us.  And for that reason, I'm sure someone here will eventually read this thread that knows precisely the configuration and operation of everything in my photo.

Of course I'm occasionally caught off the mark, but I've yet to see a coach without an air door seal;  but then due to my great youth and inexperience   ::) , I'm not sure how long they've been around.  A check around the perimeter of your door frame (not the door itself) may reveal the collapsed bladder(s) - kinda like a flat bike tube I reckon.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 02:57:56 AM »
Joel
My Monterey does not have an air bladder around the front door.  It also does not have an Aquahot/Hydrohot, electric cord reel, hose reel, electric door locks or any of the other things I see that need repairing on this forum.  Apparently mine is really low end but we still love it.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 08:00:45 AM »
Yup, for sure the more stuff ya got the more there is to go haywire, and sometimes les is bes.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:03:29 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Carol Moffett

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 09:19:08 AM »
Joel,
   We do not have an air door seal in our '02 Marquis Amethyst, either!  Lol!
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 10:47:29 AM »
It's good to know there's a lot of people that don't have to worry about at least one type of inflation   ;D .
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat