Author Topic: Looking for existing Surge Protector  (Read 5453 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Looking for existing Surge Protector
« on: July 15, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
I am looking at installing a Progressive 50 amp surge protector and a Power Master VC-50.
We just started our full time adventure and I'm trying to insure that we protect our electronic systems.
Attached is a picture of the closest thing to a surge protector I can find on my 2003 Marquis. Is this just a junction box or the SP?
The cable from the 50Amp power cord goes in to the box and a similar cable goes out to the coach.

Edward Buker

Re: Looking for existing Surge Protector
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:28:01 PM »
Believe that is just a junction box.

later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:14:58 PM »
I would expect your year and model to have a hard wired 50 amp such as this Surgeguard that's like mine:
http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/transfer-switches/50a-hardwires

It should be somewhere near that junction box.  Mine is in the cord reel bay and obvious on its back wall.  Access and service, if ever necessary, is relatively easy.  But your Marquis may have such things more out of sight.  Others here I'm sure will have an answer specific to your coach.

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:22:56 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 06:43:25 PM »
Bruce,
Your picture is of a Junction box. Your coach did not originally come with a surge protector, but most of the owners of your era of Marquis coaches who install a Surge Guard, install it between the frame rails on the top of the pass-through section of the basement.

Gerald 
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 11:55:44 PM »
Thanks Gerald.  I reckon I thought the factories put Surge Guard units in all the rigs after about 2000 or so.  My bad. :-X

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 06:58:55 PM »
Thanks for the insight, I'm not comfortable trusting park power or using the built-in surge provisions in the inverter. Looks like a progressive 50 amp and a VC-50 is in the offing. Now if I can just locate a replacement AC unit...