Author Topic: rubber roofs  (Read 4474 times)

Dave Tanchak

rubber roofs
« on: June 17, 2010, 03:16:56 AM »
Does anyone know how long a rubber roof will last?  I have a 1998 Beaver and the roof has a coating (white) on it that makes cleaning the roof real easy but I've been told they (the rubber roof) only last 10 years and should be resealed every 2 years.... any thoughts?.

Thanks Dave.

Gerald Farris

Re: rubber roofs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 04:49:31 AM »
Dave,
Your 1998 Contessa does not have a rubber roof. It has a fiberglass roof that may have had a rubberized coating like a pick-up bed liner applied to it by someone in the past. The bed liner type coatings usually do not require any special care or maintenance.

A rubber roof is a special rubber membrane that is stretched over the plywood roof on most travel trailers, fifth wheels, gas motorhomes, and entry level diesel pushers. A rubber roof does need extra care and replacement around every 10 or 15 years, depending on usage.

Gerald

Dave Tanchak

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 04:18:27 PM »
Thanks Gerald,
 I know the front 6 feet or so is fiberglass then there is a seam, then this rubberized covering goes right to the rear cap seam. It does look like it's been sprayed on and there is no give to the roof when I walk on it..

Dave.

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »
The part behind the front cap is fiberglass also. It is a seperate molding. As Gerald mentioned. someone may have painted or coated it with something.

Dave Tanchak

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
Thanks guys
It would be great if a person was able to contact the original owner of a motorhome and ask them what they did or if there were any problems..
And all this time I thought I had a rubber roof....

Dave.