Author Topic: Surge tank  (Read 6442 times)

Paul Schwalen

Surge tank
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:51:34 PM »
My 03 Contessa (ISL 370) has a slight crack in the coolant surge tank. I can't find any numbers, etc on the tank and would like any help regarding where to get a replacement.  The tank itself is white opaque plastic of some ilk.  It is 11" wide, 11" high and 8" deep.  It has 2 mounting brackets on the rear top (aft) and two on the front (fwd) bottom. The inlet is about 1 3/8" dia on the rear (fwd) centerline and the pressure cap location is the top aft.

We are on the road in VA heading for VT and I just noticed the minute leak today.  I cleaned the area with my wife's nail polish remover and then put some super glue on the tiny crack and it seems OK right now but I want to replace it because it will just lead to another crack etc.

Thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:19:59 PM by 38 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Surge tank
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 03:17:52 AM »
Paul,

Take a look at the BAC Forum thread "Coolant Surge Tank Cracks" posted 2/7/2010 by Gerald Ferris.  If that does not answer your questions, please contact Gerald.

[The surge tank on many Beaver coaches in the late 90's to the 2002 or 2003 age range is a Ford tank that cracks often. The Ford part number is F6HZ-8A080-B and it measures app. 3 1/2" deep, 6" wide, and 27" long. At the Indio rally there were 3 coaches with cracked tanks. My 2000 Marquis uses this tank, and I have had to replace it twice with the last one lasting only 2 years.

Since my coach had a 13 pound pressure cap on the tank, and the coach never reaches a temperature that would boil coolant in a 7 pound system, I changed my pressure cap to a 7 pound cap to reduce the likelihood of another tank failure.

Gerald]

I hope this helps.

Larry

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 05:19:03 AM »
Paul,
The 03 Contessa is a Monaco designed coach and they changed the coolant surge away from the Ford tank that has such a high failure rate. I do not know who made the tank on your coach, but if you call Beaver Coach Sales tomorrow morning (Monday) they should be able to tell you.

Gerald

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:46:05 AM »
Gerald,

Thanks for that info, I will try and call Beaver Coach Sales later today when we land in NJ.  The number I have for them is 800-843-2907.  Is this the correct number?

Paul

William Mathews

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »
Paul
The number for Bend Ore is 800-843-2967. I had to replace that tank a year ago and thats where I got it.

Bill M
03 Contessa

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
William,

Thanks for the phone number correction (actually it was a typo, I did have the correct number).  The part is on its way to NY and  hopefully the crack/leak will not get worse before the tank gets to me.

Paul

William Mathews

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »
Paul
I had some problems with the new tank. On top are holes for the two vent hoses. The threads in those holes were something less than perfect. I used teflon tape at first, but they leaked anyway. Then I took the tank back off and at the bottom of those vent holes, there is a flange, why I don't know. So I drilled out the flange being careful not to damage the threads. I didn't want that flange to obstruct the coolant flow or cause any undo pressure on the fittings screwed in. Then put some  sealer on the fittings and screwed them in. Has held good up to now.
 Bill M
 03 Contessa
 ISL 370
 08 Malibu
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:23:17 PM by 14 »

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:32 PM »
Bill,

Thanks for the heads up.  I will keep you informed when the part arrives and I attempt the transfer.

Paul