Author Topic: HWH Active Air supension control systems ??  (Read 10766 times)

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
HWH Active Air supension control systems ??
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »
Hi Has anyone installed, have any experience or an opinion on this or any similar system? Are There any similar systems and if so what are they? I am thinking about it but the price seems a bit steep.

Please advise

http://www.hwhcorp.com/activeaircontrol3.html
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: HWH Active Air supension control systems ??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 07:31:54 PM »
It came from the factory on many of our coaches.  But I recall at least one member that was disenchanted with hydraulic leveling, George Harwell, actually went to the HWH headquarters to have Active Air installed, after some research, and not too long ago.   Mike Collins has also done this.

You'll glean some insight here, Jim:   http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,1757.msg12372.html#msg12372

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
Jim,
It would be helpful to know what year and model coach you have. You can add the info as part of your signature or personal text by going to Profile - Forum Profile.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
Joel,

I believe that the active air system is both an over the road system and a leveling system while you are parked. What others have done is install the HWH leveling system that replaces the SMC system which is inactive while driving. The active air levels you while driving much like our fast acting valves do but I believe this is the automated version with sensors and is computerized. Compensates for side winds etc. I do not know anyone who has done the conversion to over the road active air from HWH. Link here...

http://www.hwhcorp.com/activeaircontrol3.html

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »
My bad.  Our coach has Active Air.  I'm so spoiled by it being one system that I often overlook that many of our members have separate systems and added air leveling, like George and Mike.  Whereas others like Jim are considering the spendier air ride/level combo. Thanks for yanking my chain, Ed;  maybe I need a collar with inside spikes.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »
Sorry 2005 Montery40 ft C9  Will add

Jim
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
Joel,

I would be surprised if you had what HWH refers to as "The Active Air System", the brochure is dated 2013 and I though that it was a relatively new offering. It uses a lot of computing and electronic controls and valves to manage the coach while driving. It even has a steering sensor so as you turn it anticipates lean and compensates for that, very sophisticated. As an example from their literature...

For example, when driving a straight, flat road, the
settings remain comfortably soft. But when cornering,
the system automatically reduces roll by increasing
outer air spring inflation and reducing inner air spring
inflation, thus maintaining a soft, comfortable ride.

Later Ed

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:01:17 AM »
This active air system can be adjusted while rolling down the road.

I had my hydraulic system capped off, the 4 jacks removed, and an air system custom installed by HWH last July 2014.

It is used to level the RV when parked and sets up the proper level for travel mode.

It is a very proficient system, works quickly to level coach and has a 30 minute cycle to recheck level and adjust if needed.

I use the manual adjustment for dumping the tanks easier and to remove the excess water buildup from the roof airs. It was a $4900 investment which will never be recouped but makes my life easier than messing with the SMC IDS obsolete parts.

It was a 2 1/2 day event to accomplish this, but all the wiring and fittings were made in house and installed. The last 1/2 day was for a search for a crossed air line that was causing rear airbags to not work.

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 08:52:35 AM »
Ed-

You may be right, except that in an HWH customer Forum reference is made to Active Air somewhat prior to 2007, one fellow in 2009 commenting about his being several years old.  Admittedly I was surprised only a few years ago to see what I presumed were the first ads for Active Air, and its description was essentially what I have on my '06.  Information I'd gleaned over the years led me to presume that since the leveling was an HWH system and the ride height was controlled from the same modules, I had a complete HWH application like Active Air.

Somewhere in my reading I'd absorbed that the lean on curves, for example, was micromanaged by the electronics in the modules.  In point of fact, the lack of roll in curves is pleasantly obvious on our rig.  As it turns out Monaco seems to have used what my brochure claims is their Cushion Air Glide suspension.  The HWH system may indeed be more sophisticated than a Cushion Air Glide one, I don't know.  But I'm perfectly happy with the air suspension performance regardless.  The basic idea for both is the same, and one has to wonder since the controls are HWH if Monaco's version isn't a collaborative effort of some sort.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:55:08 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

John Fearnow

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
Called HWH this morning because I was not clear reading their website as to the difference between air leveling system and active air suspension.  "Air leveling" is a system that uses the coach air bags but only works when the coach is parked.  "Active air" system levels both underway and when parked.  However, the air leveling system is no longer available, at least for retrofit. The only air system for retrofit, at least for the magnum IDS system, is the HWH active Air.  Quoted price is almost $10,000 and 6 days installation time.  Looks like,I'll continue to nurse  my  IDS system along until it is totally non-functional.

John  Fearnow
2002 Patriot-Thunder

Edward Buker

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 06:20:42 AM »
John,

That seems a bit short sighted. I was wondering if they gave you a reason for this. Any chance upper management would alter this decision? I find no issues with the ride quality from the manual leveling valve system, so why complicate it....

Later Ed

John Fearnow

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 08:01:36 PM »
I didn't ask for an explanation and none was offered.  Maybe some what cynical but I suspect that they wanted to eliminate the less expensive partially duplicative option for solving the problem in order to sell more of the more costly systems.

John

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 12:01:58 AM »
I really am shocked to hear this. I am so glad I went in July 2014 and had the airbag retrofit done.

No more SMC trial and error, and no more headaches from hydraulic issues and obsolete jacks.

Still have hyds for the lr slide out but that's it.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl