Author Topic: Creeping Passenger Side Slide Out  (Read 9471 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Creeping Passenger Side Slide Out
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »
We have not used the coach so far this summer except for a couple of short trips. I go to the storage place at least every couple of weeks to check on things, run the generator under load, etc. My last 3 times there, I have noticed the street side living room slide seems to have moved out. Today was the worst. It was out about 4 to 5 inches.

What causes this phenomena? Hydraulic fluid? A bad brake of some kind? I don't know where to start trouble shooting.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Creeping Passenger Side Slide Out
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 12:15:59 AM »
                 Stan, I believe the system is HWH hydralic. The pump is under the front cap and has a reservoir about 6" in diameter and 10" long. There are 4 or 6 solenoid valves that control the dirrection of fluid to the cylinders of each room. The solenoid responsible for closing the passenger front slide-out has lost pressure and allowed the room to creep out. Or you have a hydralic leak in the same respective hose. This is not uncommon on older coaches and you may have some foreign debris caught in the solenoid. If no leaks, cycle the room out and in twice and hold the switch until you hear a squeal (pressure relief valve by-passing exceeded pressure). This may fix the problem. Good luck, "Sometimes you get chicken, sometimes you get feathers"

Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:54:41 AM »
Thanks, Fred. I will scope it out based on your information.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:07:37 AM »
 ;). This is what you're looking for under the right front if nudging the solenoids and pump a time or two, as Fred mentions, doesn't solve the problem.  Then check that the Release nuts are snug so the seals are good.  Beyond that, it descends to debris interfering with a solenoid O ring or a damaged O ring, then to an otherwise faulty solenoid.

Out a couple inches and back a time or two always reseats the seals for me, though.

Your Laguna IV implies there is an in and out pair of solenoids for each of your 3 slideout rooms, and perhaps a 4th set for another hydraulic feature on the coach.  Your 4th (bed) slideout is electric, so no hydraulic solenoid pair needed for it.

Joel

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:32:05 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:56:03 PM »
I went to the coach today and found the hydraulic pump. It looks exactly like in the pictures above from Joel. First, there is no hydraulic fluid on the asphalt. Does that insure there is no leak? Is there a hydraulic fluid reservoir for the fluid? Or is it the same one as in the engine compartment?

I will go again tomorrow and check the release nuts. (Not to be confused with myself...as I am a released nut!)  :D I also did the in and out exercise as suggested, twice. On the second in, I waited until I heard the noise that Fred mentioned.

By the way, after one day...the slide was out today, about an inch. I will check again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:23:25 PM by Stan Simpson »
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:26:32 PM »
                Stan, the square container below the solenoids is the reservoir as it shows in the picture that Joel posted. Your next step is to find which solenoid is responsible for retracting the room. This will be easier if you can get some help. With the room fully extended, unplug one of the solenoids and have your helper hit the retract button for the room. Eventually you will find the solenoid when you unplug a solenoid and only the pump runs but no room movement. The next step is releasing the pressure in the system for that respective room. In Joel's picture, you will see the reservoir cap which has a molded socket in the end of the cap. Install the socket on the end of the solenoid and turn counterclockwise NO more than 3 complete turns. You will hear the fluid bypass and release the pressure. Next just unscrew the solenoid using a pair of channel lock pliers. Not really sure where you are located, perhaps HWH or someone on the forum will advise where to locate a replacement solenoid. When done with the project, Ckeck the reservoir fluid level with the same cap with the socket. CAUTION, make sure all rooms and jacks are retracted before checking fluid level.

Hope this helps, Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »
                Stan, the square container below the solenoids is the reservoir as it shows in the picture that Joel posted. Your next step is to find which solenoid is responsible for retracting the room. This will be easier if you can get some help. With the room fully extended, unplug one of the solenoids and have your helper hit the retract button for the room. Eventually you will find the solenoid when you unplug a solenoid and only the pump runs but no room movement. The next step is releasing the pressure in the system for that respective room. In Joel's picture, you will see the reservoir cap which has a molded socket in the end of the cap. Install the socket on the end of the solenoid and turn counterclockwise NO more than 3 complete turns. You will hear the fluid bypass and release the pressure. Next just unscrew the solenoid using a pair of channel lock pliers. Not really sure where you are located, perhaps HWH or someone on the forum will advise where to locate a replacement solenoid. When done with the project, Ckeck the reservoir fluid level with the same cap with the socket. CAUTION, make sure all rooms and jacks are retracted before checking fluid level.

Hope this helps, Regards Fred

I assume (I'm mechanically challenged) you mean to do them one at a time..to see what happens when the retract button is pushed? Do I have to uncouple the hoses? Unscrew a solenoid...then what? Joel mentioned "O" rings...if I have it out, should I change them?

Thanks for your expertise.

P.S. Am I going to get hydraulic fluid coming out?
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:02:10 PM »
            Yes, Unplug one at a time. Try one on one bank of of solenois and see what happens, then try the other side or bank. (one side is responsible for extend the other bank across is for retract. If you release the pressure as I advised, you will get 4 to 6 ounces of fluid as you unscrew the solenoid. No need to mess with any hoses unless you see them leaking. You are going to replace the solenoid with a new one. I have not been sucessful just changing the o-ring.   Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 11:58:33 PM »
I've not done this, but it's worth a shot to hold the business end of a large screwdriver against each solenoid, with your ear against the end of the handle, while a partner cycles the troublesome slide.  It's an old auto mechanics trick for hearing internal engine problems, and you may be able to sense which solenoids activate with each slideout switch and which side of the manifold is in and which out.

If you can hear things well enough that way, it might save having to use the Release Nut option.  Of course you will anyway later if just cycling the slide didn't resolve the creeping.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Fred Brooks

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:59:50 AM »
Hallelujah! I went to the coach today, and the slide-out was still a slide-in! Keeping my fingers crossed that your little trick did the trick, Fred!  :)

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 09:36:39 PM »
Hallelujah! I went to the coach today, and the slide-out was still a slide-in! Keeping my fingers crossed that your little trick did the trick, Fred!  :)

Update:

Unfortunately, our curbside living room slide didn't stay a slide-in when it was retracted. Took it to our local repair shop, and they tested the solenoid...it was bad...fortunately, they had one in stock. 2 hours later, good to go. New solenoid, and topped off hydraulic reservoir.

That's done. On to the next project.

Thanks for all the help from this board.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett