Author Topic: insulation repair  (Read 12756 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: insulation repair
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 01:36:20 AM »
hi Joel, I think I'll stop in at O'riellys to see whats available for exhuast and if that doesn't work out then a stop at a heating outlet may work.
I'll let you all know how this works out.
Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
Got an email back today from a manufacturer.  For your application they recommend their Heatshield Armor.  It is not a sleeve, but rather a mat that comes in many size configurations.  Available from several dealers that sell it primarily for racing applications.  

You would need to determine how much you'd need to make one wrap around the exhaust pipe, say 6" to surround a 2" diameter pipe.  Then choose the length.  But it ain't cheap.  Looks like to wrap 10 feet of pipe with 1/4" thick material, it would run about $100 (for the 12" X 5' size).  Thermal ties are available to hold it on.  Supposedly the material is tough enough for undercarriage applications.

These same providers also make heat shield sleeves, some of which may be large enough diameter;  but they come with a hefty price as well, esp. given the length of pipe involved with AquaHot (ours must be close to 15-16 ft.).

Here is one dealer's website: http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Brand/Heatshield-Shields-and-Jackets/Heatshield-HP-Armor.
This is the manufacturer: http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hp_armor.php.

-Joel
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:49:45 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 01:03:45 AM »
Thanks Joel,
I am going to look around seattle to see whats local I am pretty sure I can find something before I get to harrisburg.

Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 02:57:54 AM »
The insulation project is completed, I found a 2"x 50ft manifold wrap at the local auto parts house. $50.00.

After I cut the U bolt which held the exhaust pipe to the Aqua hot, the whole unit came off the coach fairly quickly.
I then just did the wrap over the old product it was held in place with a 2" hose clamp.

It actually looks pretty good and I think it will be more durable then the original sleeve product. I am sure I could have
just removed the old sleeve from the pipe.

After thinking about the possibility of dry camping at the FMCA rally in Redmond I think the extra insulation will provide
additional safety in preventing a grass fire.

I wanted to thank  everyone that helped me.

Regards, Jerry
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13