Author Topic: Battery Replacement  (Read 4684 times)

Dennis Crawford

Battery Replacement
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »
All,

I am ready to replace the 4 6volt batteries in my 2005 Monterey.  The ones I have are original, and they are due to be replaced.  I have Interstates now and of course since they have served me well for nearly 6 years I am inclined to replace them with Interstates.  Any ideas on this?  I have heard Trojans are good, but the Interstates have held up.

Dennis

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Battery Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:07:39 AM »
You may wish to check the price at CostCo.

Larry

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 01:23:36 AM »
Hi Dennis

I would offer you a couple of thoughts, Napa would provide a national warranty should you have a problem in a remote area. Have you looked at the optional sealed (maintenance free) batteries? I really don't know if these are better in terms of life but I do like the idea of not having to check the water!  Some of our members may be able to provide insight on the pros/cons to each system.

Last I would offer one suggestion if you going to the FMCA rally I bet you could make a deal!

Regards, Jerry

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 02:23:09 AM »
Dennis,
I replaced my original Interstate house batteries at 7 years of age because they were not holding a charge quite as long as I thought that they should when I was dry camped. I replaced them with Trojan T105 batteries because I could get a better price on Trojans, and Trojans have as good a reputation or better than Interstate does, although my original Interstates gave me excellent service.

As Larry stated in the earlier post Costco or Sam's Club will have golf cart batteries (house) about 30% cheaper than you can find Trojan or Interstate batteries for, and if you plan on keeping the coach 3 or 4 years they may be the best deal. However if you are hoping for 7 or 8 years of service I would buy Trojans. There is a good reason that over 90% of the major golf courses use Trojan batteries in their carts.

One other thing to remember, if you want to get the maximum life from your house batteries, don't ever let the electrolyte (water) get below the top of the plates, and don't run the batteries down below 40% charge (12V), OR 50% charge (12.1V) is even better.

The sealed AGM batteries are better than lead/acid batteries (Trojan) because there is no out-gassing to cause cable corrosion, have a little higher capacity, and there is no water to add, but they will cost twice as much or more to purchase.

Gerald    
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:34:08 AM by 235 »

MarcRodstein

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
I replaced mine with Optima AGM batteries. Yes, they cost twice as much, but I am really enjoying them as they are completely worry-free. I never have to check water, get no cable or battery tray corrosion. They put out power longer and recharge faster. Well worth the cost for me.

Marc, Wellington FL
2003 Beaver Monterey 40' triple slide
2010 Lincoln MKT toad
Unified Tow Brake