Author Topic: Cat Engine Add on Power Chips  (Read 4573 times)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Cat Engine Add on Power Chips
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
Springfield, Mo. Wed. on way to Branson Rally. Helped out FMCA member with engine problems,
loss of power . Connected my Cat ET to his engine found a logged active
code 102-3 Boost pressure high voltage and check engine light on. With this active code it show
event happen 255 times which been ongoing and timer max out logging active code.Owner said
power keep geting worse. ( here is the point of this post ) Owner than tells me he has had a power chip added to engine for about 2 years ago,but did not think that would have anything to do with problem. Installed new boost sensor 161-9927 from Fabrick Cat in Springfield and check engine is
off and he has no codes. I have mentioned before in different post about group of 5 volt sensors
that high voltage cannot be more than 5.16 volts on high reading and not lower than 4.88 volts
on the low side. How some of these power chip preform, they over drive few sensors with more
voltage than sensor is rated for above 5.16 volts. In getting the boost sensor with owner had
the service tech explain ( sensor voltage which same as above, cannot over drive a sensor above
5.16 volts. ) sensor will fail of which it died. Owner had me remove this power chip off his engine.
I'm not down grading motorhome owners on what they put on there engines, but have had several
problems like above should pass on. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Lee Welbanks

Re: Cat Engine Add on Power Chips
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
Dave,

In other words, be very very careful what you have added to your Cat to make it perform better. Really there is no cheap and easy way to get more power out of a modern diesel motor. The power advertisers will tell and say anything to get you to purchase their magic piece that will turn your motor into a monster.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
Lee, I cannot stress that though enough. Cat Engines are setup for emissions as per EPA. Anytime
we go outside the box plan on spending money, cannot sugar coat statement. Getting more H. P.
other than having Cat reprogram ECM is not a wise choice. Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:13:03 PM »
Dave,

Back in the mechanical day, it was pumps, injectors and more turbo and exhaust, but they were easy to burn down. I know a guy that has a C 16 putting put a click under 900 hp, but basically it is a marine engine, 1K hp cam, marine injectors, pump, turbos, exhaust , ecm.
My C 13 has more than enough power to haul the PT around. We were up in BC Canada and they have a bunch of grades at 8-9%, not a problem and it stays cool. My fan comes on I think sooner than most, it will spool up at 195 degrees and go full on. Got it up to 202 on Raton Pass with the temp out at 100+, but it cooled right off shifting down a hole.
This thing figures its time to go to work when full on at around 1300 @ 48 psi boost.