Author Topic: AM/FM Radio Brand for 2006 Monterey  (Read 10125 times)

Roger Rempe

AM/FM Radio Brand for 2006 Monterey
« on: September 07, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
I have a 2006 Monterey Laguna IV. Can anyone tell me what the make and model is of my dash radio? Also, I'm trying to find a user manual for it. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:46:39 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: AM/FM Radio Brand
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:16:57 PM »
Looks like a Delco (GM).
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 11:14:57 PM »
That is probably nearly the same one I have, Roger, except I don't have Sirius.  Mine is a Visteon model VP4DBF-18C815AE.  A user manual came in my Monterey packet, but it is actually for a different Visteon unit.  The buttons are all in different places, but yet function the same, so the manual is relevant and useful.

The problem is that Visteon supplied radios mostly to Ford and some motorhome mfrs., and not to the public as such.  Their site isn't useful since they built radios specific to mostly Ford individual models, and expect you to go to Ford for parts, including manuals.  There is a general purpose website for product owners manuals, but they didn't seem to have most Visteon radio manuals.  You probably won't have much luck at Allied/Monaco either.

The frustration is that many Fords have versions of 6CD Visteons, yet manuals are hard to come by.  Nevertheless, you might try Ford Motor Corporation.  The "4" in the model number means it was built in 2004.  The "18C815" is common to most of their 6CD models, they hold 6 CD disks inside.  The difference mainly in models is designated by the last two characters - most are AB, AC, AD, etc., but good luck finding AE. The AE must be for the model without Sirius Radio built in, or "Sirius ready".  The user manual I have is for models with Sirius Radio, as yours appears to have above it in the photo.  I don't know which yours might be... AB, AC, or AD.  (The radio is actually "Sirius Radio ready", which explains why your Sirius control bar is not inclusive in the radio face itself, but probably hooks up to the radio in the back quite easily and meshes electronically like "plug n' play").  Nevertheless, though the buttons are in different places on the radio face than in the manual I have, they operate essentially the same, so the manual is handy for at least that.

You might try posting a manual inquiry and photo in the thread at the website linked below, and see what happens.  Otherwise I can try to scan and email you the manual I have.
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2242391

-Joel
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:30:04 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roger Rempe

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:06:36 PM »
Thanks much for the comprehensive info Joel. I was able to do a search using your model and came up with a match for what I believe is mine. Apparently, its a Ford Explorer Expedition Radio F87F-18C868-AC. Unfortunately, as you'd mentioned, I didn't have any luck finding a manual.
The main reason for wanting the manual was to see if there is an auxiliary plug in for my SiriusXM Onyx Plus vehicle kit. With the Onyx I can swap it out and use in a boom box or my toad. I was able to find a picture of the radio's back and I don't see an aux plug in. I may go the route of utilizing a  cassette adapter to get the sound to play through the radio. It'll mean more wires on the dash but, it's one way to get it done.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 04:01:40 PM »
Roger,

I had that radio and the manual with our '04 Monterey.  I had it long enough that I knew it thoroughly.  The manual was not thick and of little use.  It did help me learn how to set the clock.  I can confirm that the only way to get an aux input feed is with the cassette adapter that you pictured.  It was not as tidy as later radios, but it worked well.  I used it primarily for XM Radio and an iPod I had. 

FWIW, the AM radio always was full of static on ours.  It seemed we had a "noisy alternator".  I tried to have it improved when it was under warranty but without success.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »
Roger,

We have that same radio in our Beaver. The person who drove it to Oklahoma City from Mesa used the CD player for his country music, and got a disk wedged in there that would not eject. In an effort to keep the coach original, we had it repaired by a place in California. Superb job, and reasonably priced. To add Sirius XM to the radio...still keeping it original...and not having a separate unit that hangs off an air vent...we purchased an adaptor from Amazon that goes inline with the antenna coax for the AM/FM It allows us to plug in the Siriux XM unit and hide it under the dash. The SAT button on the original radio now control the satellite radio as well. We also installed a marine Sirius XM antenna on the roof, so no little antenna wires and velcro for the standard antenna for Sirius XM.

If you'd like the part #s etc. I think I can look them up.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Roger Rempe

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 08:08:23 PM »
Thanks for the offer Stan but, the cassette adapter works fine for now. It sure did improve the sound quality!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 08:14:47 PM »
Roger,

Glad you have a solution. By the way, that is a Ford radio, so the only way you can get it out of the dash is by using the special removal tool shown here. Its available at any auto parts store.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 05:39:52 AM »
Roger,
Check under the dash and see if the unit has an aux inputs or uses RCA jacks. You may be able to plug a RCA cable with Red/White connectors on one end and a miniature headphone jack on the other end rather  than having to use the cassette adapter.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roger Rempe

Re: AM/FM Radio Brand for 2006 Monterey
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 01:14:25 PM »
Thanks for the tip Steve but, I can't see the back of the radio. However, looking at the online photos there doesn't appear to be any RCA or obvious auxiliary inputs.