Author Topic: I86/I88 in NY  (Read 3943 times)

John Fearnow

I86/I88 in NY
« on: September 18, 2015, 02:09:30 AM »
We are in INdiana enroute Cooperstown, NY and then other points east.  I am interested in taking I86 and then I88 from Erie, PA to Cooperstown with some intermediate stops probably including Watkins Glen.  Part of this is to avoid tolls on I90 but also I here the southern route is more scenic.  But I am concerned I86/88 may be too hilly and winding and possibly not in good shape. We are not in a hurry so a speedy transit is not an issue but I don't want a trip that is scenic but too demanding to enjoy it.
Does anyone have any experience on this route.  Hopefully some of the eastern Beavers have some insight.

Thanks
John Fearnow
2002 P-T

Edward Buker

Re: I86/I88 in NY
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 03:40:42 AM »
John,

I have done the I 88 leg from I81 to Schenectady to tie into I87 going north and it was a good road. I think most of these NY interstates are quite decent. You may come to some stretches where you have concrete wear with the rhythmic up and down dips near the segment cracks. They have fixed a lot of that over the years. Compared to western mountains, the climbs and curves are fairly benign so on that account I would not worry too much. John, I think you will find these roads to be just fine for the most part.

Later Ed