Author Topic: Front door handle light  (Read 8046 times)

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
Front door handle light
« on: October 27, 2015, 12:53:59 AM »
My lighted Glass door handle on my 2006 Thunder went out last night what is involved in changing the lamp on this?
Is it an easy change?

Thanks
Paul
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:01:39 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

Lee Welbanks

Re: front door handle light
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:03:38 AM »
It is actually really easy, I had to replace one on the inside handle, ordered the light from BCS, they have them in stock or I should say should have them.
Just unscrew the handle mounts top and bottom and the light will be in one end and it slips right out, I think the new light came with plug connectors but I cut them off and used small butt connectors.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Paul Champagne

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:33:38 AM »
Thanks Lee.  My outside one isn't out, but seems awfully dim... can't even make out the black "Beaver" lettering on it.  Looks like the light is in the top end, but is so dim it's hard to tell for certain.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Orman Claxton

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 03:44:02 AM »
I changed over to LED Lights
Cooler, Brighter

The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:53:52 AM »
Hi Lee

What type of bulb is in there something a local Napa would carry?

Thanks

Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

JCMillerSr

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 12:40:25 PM »
Soon after we purchased our coach I found the door handle bulb did not work.  The replacement bulb in ours was a #8918 Eiko 1.4w .1amp 14v TI Midget Flanged Base bulb.  Found replacements at www.1000bulbs.com for $ .20 each. 

Lee Welbanks

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:30:49 PM by Lee Welbanks »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »
Thanks Lee.  Perhaps the dim one (the outside bar) on our coach is incandescent.  I'll have to check it and maybe switch to that LED unit.  Could also be the exterior one has a bit of resistance from corrosion, whether LED or incan.  The crystal on it looks a bit weather-worn too.  A little Aerospace 303 protectant was tempting, but that would compromise the grip.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 10:18:09 AM »
I believe I mentioned this last year: the bulb in my exterior handle burned out and I replaced the bulb with about an inch of LED strip lighting. I also replaced the very weathered and cracked acrylic handle with piece of appropriately sized acrylic rod purchased on eBay for about $5. A little rasping to bevel one end is all that was required.

The most useful discovery was the inside handle did not have a light even though the wiring was there. Another inch of strip LED now lights the inside handle which makes finding the door latch much easier to find at night.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »
I believe I mentioned this last year: the bulb in my exterior handle burned out and I replaced the bulb with about an inch of LED strip lighting. I also replaced the very weathered and cracked acrylic handle with piece of appropriately sized acrylic rod purchased on eBay for about $5. A little rasping to bevel one end is all that was required.

The most useful discovery was the inside handle did not have a light even though the wiring was there. Another inch of strip LED now lights the inside handle which makes finding the door latch much easier to find at night.

Led strip, that is a good idea, with the handle being hollow one could run a strip all the way through, would have to play with the brightness a bit.

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 04:13:30 PM »
A piece of LED strip lights inserted in the handle would certainly make it bright however, at least on mine, the Rod is solid - not hollow.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9