Author Topic: Interior latches  (Read 10841 times)

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
Interior latches
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:18:20 AM »
All,

We have managed to break two latches in the motor coach; One is a black plastic clip used to secure the bedroom closet doors, and the other is a metal hold down for the bed frame.  I believe the same metal latch is used for the drawer under the sofa as well.

Any suggestions on possible sources???

As always, thank you in advance.
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: Interior latches
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 03:01:45 AM »
I know you can get both on line but a start may be Beaver Coach sales.

I did buy a bag full of the Black plastic catches from NW RV Supply in Springfield, OR

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:19:11 PM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »
Run an online search for JR Products 70445 push latch strike.  It is the stouter-built of two strikes that'll work with the same latch.  My drawer strikes are the smaller 70465 and several have broken, so I bought backup larger ones wherever my travels found them, often at RV dealerships.  The screw holes don't perfectly match the existing ones in the wood where the smaller strikes were mounted, and the latch may have to be loosened and slid a smidge to one side or the other for optimum alignment, but I made them work okay.  The strike for closets is usually the large one.  If it broke, it could be from rough handling, or from a less than optimum alignment with the latch, which is easy enough to rectify with the adept use of a screwdriver while installing a new strike.

You can find essentially the same strike and latch under other mfrs.' names, but I'm not certain which models are the stouter large strikes, and without the two sizes in hand, they can be hard to tell apart.  Commonly available is a 3-piece pack that includes a latch and 2 strikes, one small and one large.  But since the latch itself has never broken for us, that option accumulates a lot of spare latches and is a waste of money.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the bed latch.  But you might check this manufacturer to maybe find a part number to look for at retailer sites:
http://www.jrproducts.net/index.php/catalog/load_product_list/Hardware/Cabinet%20Hardware/

Joel
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:59:51 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Michael Rump

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:24:52 PM »
This is a photo of the catch at NW RV supply this is the stronger unit and they run $8.95( no tax in OR) for a 2 pack.  http://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/C3-8052.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:30:55 PM by Jerry Carr »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:08:38 PM »
I've also found these heavy duty latches at some Camping World stores.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 03:20:51 AM »
Jerry, Joel and Steve,

Thank you for your suggestions on sources for the closet door latch.  I have attached a picture of the one I need for holding down the bed platform.  I talked to Beaver Sales today and they have one for $90 plus shipping...ouch!  Attached is a pdf file of the bed hold down which is broken on one end.

Hopefully, someone knows of another source.....

Best regards,
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 03:32:52 AM »
Mike,

I am sure you can find something in hardware at either Lowes or Home Depot which will work just as well as whatever was installed on your bed.  Use your imagination and I am sure something will work and it won't cost $90.

Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13
The following users thanked this post: Michael Rump

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 05:16:22 AM »
Jerry, Joel and Steve,

Thank you for your suggestions on sources for the closet door latch.  I have attached a picture of the one I need for holding down the bed platform.  I talked to Beaver Sales today and they have one for $90 plus shipping...ouch!  Attached is a pdf file of the bed hold down which is broken on one end.

Best regards,

Michael,

There is a outfit Southco that has just about every kind of latch known to man. Attached is a pic off Amazon that looks somewhat like yours. I have done business with Southco before sourcing latches for containers. Hope this helps.
http://www.amazon.com/Southco-Adjustable-Operated-Compression-Non-Locking/dp/B00GM5EJ8Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1444795754&sr=1-3&keywords=lever+latches

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 06:02:05 PM »
Jerry, Joel and Steve,

Best regards,

That is the same latch that holds down the engine cover inside the closet of our Beaver.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 11:16:03 PM »
The last time I bought one of these I got it from Monaco but I would again recommend NW RV supply or BCS, I think if you check with Scott at BCS he may have a used one upstairs

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 01:29:57 PM »
All,

Thanks for the great suggestions on the latches.  I need to run them to ground now.

Best to you!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV