Author Topic: 96 Monterey access to the furnace  (Read 4565 times)

john brunson

96 Monterey access to the furnace
« on: October 20, 2015, 01:08:05 AM »
I cannot seem to discover how to get to the thing- the blower comes on but no fire in the combustion chamber- this one runs on propane I think.... Anybody know how to get to it? Apparently it is under the fridge, (judging from the sound)  I have checked in basement and tried to remove the panel... Need to get a clue.

john brunson

Re: 96 Monterey access to the furnace
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »
definitely a Suburban propane furnace; getting access is going to be interesting... anyone got a clue?

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 03:08:48 PM »
The four wood buttons are screw covers.  Normally the buttons are only pressed in and not glued.  You should be able to wedge a knife blade under and pry them off.  If they are glued, you may destroy them.  Once the buttons are off, the screw heads will be accessible and you can take the panel off.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 03:14:13 PM »
         John,

Probably a SF-42 if it is a suburban furnace. Remove the grille and behind it you will find an access cover over the furnace. Remove the cover and you will find the limit switch with 2 white wires going to it. "Tap" the limit switch and try to start the furnace or test each wire with a test light, should have 12volts on each wire. If you have 12volt only on one wire, the limit switch is open or bad. To prove that jump both wires together temporarily and fire the furnace. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

john brunson

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
Fred,

Definitely a Suburban SF-42.  The thing is I cannot figure out to get the grille off without destroying it.  Going to look under the four button covers for a wood screw this evening... this could be propane related because the fridge don't work on propane either....

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:21:06 PM »
                    John,

I believe that year coach had an LP detector that also had a shut-off solenoid located at the LP tank. Before you do anything, try lighting the stove. If the stove won't light, go outside and make sure you have propane and the shut off valve is open. Locate the detector inside and flip the switch off for 10 seconds and then back on. It will beep 2 times a second for 15 seconds then you should hear a click at the LP tank. Try and light the stove top. If it does, now try the furnace again. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 12:55:36 AM »
Could've sworn I wrote a reply this a.m., but now don't see it, so I'll repeat...
When the blower runs but the furnace won't fire, it sometimes is due to low batteries.  There is a sail switch in the air column that conveys the air speed the fan is putting out.  If the flow is inadequate to move the "sail" and change the switch position, then the unit won't ignite. 

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat