Author Topic: Recommendations on portable water softeners  (Read 21484 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Recommendations on portable water softeners
« on: October 21, 2015, 10:30:54 PM »
I'm actively searching for a new portable water softener. I'm particularly interested in something that is easy to re-generate. Specifically not having to unhook the whole shebang each time it needs regenerating, which I have to do now. I find out that it needs re-generating at bedtime when SWMBO is washing her face..never in the morning when SWMBO is washing dishes. Which means I have to get up early and do it before morning showers or her hair is no good for 6 months!  ;D The other advantage, besides convenience, is that I could permanently install it somewhere in a bay, or behind a bay.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Weiss

Re: Recommendations on portable water softeners
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:24:38 PM »
All water softeners are going to require regeneration in which some water is going to be discharged as waste.  Although I normally take mine outside and let the regen water spill on the ground, there's no reason why I couldn't leave it in place and run plumbing to take the regen water and run it down the drain.  Mine is supposed to be back-flushed periodically and I'd have to figure out how to do that, but the basic regen procedure could definitely be done in place.  Here's the the softener I currently own: [http://www.amazon.com/Watts-RV-PRO-1000-M7002-Water/dp/B0050EITTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445466257&sr=8-1&keywords=Watts+RV+PRO-1000+OR+M7002+10000+Grains+Portable+Water+Softener
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:26:26 PM by Joel Weiss »
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:10:18 AM »
That is one I'm considering, Joel. How long does it take you to do the re-gen?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:04:13 AM »
I had that one as an alternative, but opted for the On the Go small one.  It just fits standing upright in a compartment in and adjoining my wet bay, includes a rope handle, and it was a good buy, coupled with a couple special discounts, at Camping World a couple weeks back.  I really intended to use it for spotless rinsing after washing my vehicles, but it fits in the RV well enough that I'll take it with us for when we encounter hard park water.

Sorry Stan, I haven't had a chance to actually use it yet, so can't advise in that regard, but it gets very good reviews.  And I sure like its light weight, easy storage size, and overall portability.  We're pretty conservative with onboard water use, so I expect it to go a while between recharges.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVPNURO?psc=1

Joel
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:06:39 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »
Stan

We use the Watts RV-Pro 10000. It takes 20 min to recharge and you need 2 lbs of table salt and a short female-female hose that is not included to get the job done. You do have to do some rearranging of the hoses to recharge the unit. It gives a gradual warning when it needs to be recharged as the water gets hard gradually not all at once. Ours lasts at least 1 month and sometimes 2 months between charges.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »
Stan

We use the Watts RV-Pro 10000. It takes 20 min to recharge and you need 2 lbs of table salt and a short female-female hose that is not included to get the job done. You do have to do some rearranging of the hoses to recharge the unit. It gives a gradual warning when it needs to be recharged as the water gets hard gradually not all at once. Ours lasts at least 1 month and sometimes 2 months between charges.

Our experience is the same as Dan's.  The 20 minute recharge time is what the manufacturer recommends.

The time between recharging is entirely dependent on the hardness of the water in your area and your usage.  At our Port Aransas winter site the water is extremely hard and we're lucky to get a month's use before recharging is necessary.  We also have a washing machine which increases our daily usage. 

You can actually calculate how many gallons you will get between recharging.  It's a pretty simple calculation; the softener has ~10,000 grains of softening capability.  If you start with water that has a certain number of grains of hardness and reduce its hardness to a "normal" number, then the grains used for hardness reduction come from the 10,000 you started with.  Assuming you know roughly how much water you use each day, you can estimate how many grains per day of softening capability will be used and, therefore, you can estimate how long you can go before recharging.

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 04:28:46 PM »
Stan,
 I also have the RV Pro 10,000 and agree with both Dan and Joel about use and regeneration.
I ordered our softener directly from FlowPur. They are currently listed for $173.00 /  and shipping to lower 48 is free.

https://www.flowpur.com/html/rv-pro10000.html

Darrell Terry
2004 Monterey
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »
Stan
Take a look at this site.  I use their softners.  I have a larger one at home for
 use in cleaning and filling my water tank.  The"mini" I take with me.  Easy regen process and can either use salt pellets or potassium which I prefer.

http://www.stainlesswaterfilters.com/waterfilters-s/1814.htm

Leah

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 01:28:20 AM »
Stan
Take a look at this site.  I use their softners.  I have a larger one at home for
 use in cleaning and filling my water tank.  The"mini" I take with me.  Easy regen process and can either use salt pellets or potassium which I prefer.

http://www.stainlesswaterfilters.com/waterfilters-s/1814.htm

Leah

With all due respect, a company that sells softeners at extremely high prices without specifying the "grain" quantity is highly suspect in my book.  It is meaningless to specify a supposed number of gallons that can be treated without knowing the hardness of the water being treated. 

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 04:26:40 PM »
Joel
Thank you for your very opinionated response.  Good to know you are such an expert.

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »
Stan,
 I also have the RV Pro 10,000 and agree with both Dan and Joel about use and regeneration.
I ordered our softener directly from FlowPur. They are currently listed for $173.00 /  and shipping to lower 48 is free.

https://www.flowpur.com/html/rv-pro10000.html

Darrell Terry
2004 Monterey

I just ordered this one. It seems to get pretty good reviews on the web and it's about the lowest price I could find.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Joel Weiss

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
Joel
Thank you for your very opinionated response.  Good to know you are such an expert.

Leah:

What I said wasn't opinion it was entirely based on fact.  The softening capacity of a device is based on a chemical exchange process in which sodium ions from salt are substituted for calcium and iron ions in the water.  The "stuff" in the device is what's known as an "ion exchange resin" which facilitates this substitution of ions.  When you put salt into a softener it is like fueling it up; this gives it new sodium ions to use to replace calcium ions.

Softeners are rated in terms of the number of "grains" of softener ions (sodium) they can hold because this number determines how many gallons of water with a particular "hardness" can be softened before more sodium ions have to be added.  It's a pretty simple calculation and, if you are staying in one location, it's likely that you'll find that your own need to refill the salt (the proper term is regeneration) will occur on a regular basis of every couple of weeks depending on how hard the incoming water is and how much water your family uses on a daily basis.  All the device is doing is "plucking" ions out of the incoming water and replacing them with sodium ions from the salt you have added.  When the sodium runs out, it's time to add more.  When you use a softener it's essential that you test your water on a regular basis; that's the only way you'll know when more salt has to be added; there's very little taste or "feeling" difference of the water itself.

When I examined the website of the company whose softener you recommended I could find no mention of the grain capacity of any of its products.  They were adjectively described (large, extra large, etc) and a claim was made about the number of gallons of water each would treat, but, as you might understand by now, the number of gallons is not a constant and depends entirely on the hardness of the incoming water.  Therefore, without a statement of the grain capacity of a device, it is impossible to know if the gallons of water treatment capacity that is claimed pertains to very soft incoming water or very hard. 

What truly knocked my socks off about that website were the prices of the softeners, the largest of which was priced at ~$700.  The 10,000 grain Watts softener I purchased is made by one of the country's leading "water companies" and is about as large a device as most RVers can easily carry.  I paid ~$200 for it last year and someone in this thread posted an even cheaper price.  I can't even imagine why any softener for RV use would be priced in the $500-700 range.  Even the filters and other "accessories" thrown in with the softener amount to less than another ~$50. 

I'm sorry if my being critical of your choice of softener offended you.  I am not in any way trying to change your mind.  I am only pointing this information out for others who have yet to purchase a softener so they understand the issues involved in choosing one that will meet their needs.

Joel
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson

Dan Murphy

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 03:24:29 AM »
Joel

Leah:

What I said wasn't opinion it was entirely based on fact.  The softening capacity of a device is based on a chemical exchange process in which sodium ions from salt are substituted for calcium and iron ions in the water.  The "stuff" in the device is what's known as an "ion exchange resin" which facilitates this substitution of ions.  When you put salt into a softener it is like fueling it up; this gives it new sodium ions to use to replace calcium ions.

Softeners are rated in terms of the number of "grains" of softener ions (sodium) they can hold because this number determines how many gallons of water with a particular "hardness" can be softened before more sodium ions have to be added.  It's a pretty simple calculation and, if you are staying in one location, it's likely that you'll find that your own need to refill the salt (the proper term is regeneration) will occur on a regular basis of every couple of weeks depending on how hard the incoming water is and how much water your family uses on a daily basis.  All the device is doing is "plucking" ions out of the incoming water and replacing them with sodium ions from the salt you have added.  When the sodium runs out, it's time to add more.  When you use a softener it's essential that you test your water on a regular basis; that's the only way you'll know when more salt has to be added; there's very little taste or "feeling" difference of the water itself.

When I examined the website of the company whose softener you recommended I could find no mention of the grain capacity of any of its products.  They were adjectively described (large, extra large, etc) and a claim was made about the number of gallons of water each would treat, but, as you might understand by now, the number of gallons is not a constant and depends entirely on the hardness of the incoming water.  Therefore, without a statement of the grain capacity of a device, it is impossible to know if the gallons of water treatment capacity that is claimed pertains to very soft incoming water or very hard. 

What truly knocked my socks off about that website were the prices of the softeners, the largest of which was priced at ~$700.  The 10,000 grain Watts softener I purchased is made by one of the country's leading "water companies" and is about as large a device as most RVers can easily carry.  I paid ~$200 for it last year and someone in this thread posted an even cheaper price.  I can't even imagine why any softener for RV use would be priced in the $500-700 range.  Even the filters and other "accessories" thrown in with the softener amount to less than another ~$50. 

I'm sorry if my being critical of your choice of softener offended you.  I am not in any way trying to change your mind.  I am only pointing this information out for others who have yet to purchase a softener so they understand the issues involved in choosing one that will meet their needs.

Joel
Joel,

I do not need test strips to know when my softer needs regenerating. I can definitely  "feel" the difference in the water. How it rinses off the soap in the shower and how it "feels".

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 05:24:54 PM »
Stan and Chuck,
A word to the wise when you regenerate your RV Pro 10K.
You will need to remove black plastic plug at top and tip softener over slightly to pour out approx. 2 cups of
water to make room for the replacement salt. "DO NOT" lay softener flat or tip too far. It is possible to pour out the regeneration resin
if you tip to far. If you see golden/brown beads coming out of the top of softener you are losing resin. A little bit will not affect performance
as there is about a cubic foot of resin in bottle.
Replacement resin is $70 including shipping. It needs to be replaced about every 2 or 3 years, not after 2 months as in my case.

Darrell
2004 Monterey
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 05:42:15 PM »
Stan and Chuck,
A word to the wise when you regenerate your RV Pro 10K.
You will need to remove black plastic plug at top and tip softener over slightly to pour out approx. 2 cups of
water to make room for the replacement salt. "DO NOT" lay softener flat or tip too far. It is possible to pour out the regeneration resin
if you tip to far. If you see golden/brown beads coming out of the top of softener you are losing resin. A little bit will not affect performance
as there is about a cubic foot of resin in bottle.
Replacement resin is $70 including shipping. It needs to be replaced about every 2 or 3 years, not after 2 months as in my case.

Darrell
2004 Monterey

Thanks Darrell.

Flow-Pur says "Your resin only needs to be replaced if it is accidentally dumped out or damaged. Other than that, your original resin should last for many years."

I have a water softener at home and after 15+ years, I have never replaced the resin. I would think they use the same resin and process. Did something happen to your resin causing you to have to replace it?
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold