Author Topic: Water Filter  (Read 5031 times)

Steven Harper

Water Filter
« on: August 08, 2010, 09:17:50 PM »
I have a 2008 Beaver Contessa.  I have a shurflu water filter.  I am changing the water filter for the first time.  I bought one at Lowe's that is practically identical to the one that was in previously.  But, when I reconnect everything a turn the water on water comes out of the water filter unit.  If I put the other filter that was in there before it works fine.  Has anyone used a water filter other than one from Shurflo and have it work OK?

Bill Sprague

Re: Water Filter
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:50:12 AM »
Assuming you are using the standard 10" type filter system, there should be an "O" ring that sits in the case to seal the cap.  Could you be putting a kink in the "O" ring or leaving it out?  

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:29:11 AM »
Which leads to the notion that the original "O" ring from the Shur-flo is remaining in the case while you're trying to put the new filter in place with its ring also?  

2 "O" rings does not a seal make.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steven Harper

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 02:33:30 PM »
I did double check and the O ring was in place. It is a 10" filter.  So basically, any 10" filter should work.  Is that correct?  

Steven Harper

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »
OK I goofed.  The dimensions on my new filter is 9 7/8" by 2 5/8".  The shurflo filter at camping world measures 10" X 2 1/2".  Does the variation in size make a difference????

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »
If the o-ring snap on fittings are not the same it will leak. It seems that each manufacturer uses a different version but they may look the same. I found this out when changing from one filter brand to another. Try putting the fittings from your old filter (using teflon tape) onto your new filter. That has worked for me. I went from the Shurflo to a GE.  Marty

Steven Harper

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »
I will try that.  Thank You

Karen