Author Topic: Backup Monitor  (Read 7078 times)

Ron Johnson

Backup Monitor
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:25:42 PM »
My backup monitor has broken .. the plastic screwholes holding the back to the front have become baked\brittle has don't hold any screws, I can see no reason why  this would have caused the monitor to cease working but it started going off and on intermittedly then the back fell off and it didn't work again. I have an $1100 [Can]quote from the shop to troubleshoot, order a new monitor and install it. And that is if hopefully the camera works.

I was wondering whether any of you had replaced the backup monitor with a less expensive solution. To be honest I do not need the side camera function, the microphone or any other options I just need to see. I notice there are 15 wires [like those inside a telephone wire] which is the same number as in a HDMI cable. I understand the cable goes into the wall a little ways to a connection to which another cable can be affixed.

Would it be possible to get a length of cable with an end which would work with the [in the wall]wall connection and the other end being HDMI? I could then plug the HDMI into a $200 [or so] 7" monitor. Am I missing something? Or can this be done?? Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

Re: Backup Monitor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 02:25:13 AM »
Ron,

I did a successful repair on an intermittent camera on a 2002 Patriot Thunder this summer. If you think this is something you might want to attempt I will write it up. There is a weak point in the design that causes intermittent video. Let me know the camera manufacturer if you would like to take a look at this.

Later Ed

John Bagwell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
Check RVCams.com.  If you call them they are very helpful.  I had to change out my camera and monitor.  They have connects for different cable ends.  Saved a lot of money and went from B/W to color.
John Bagwell
2001 Monterey 36ft.
CAT 3126B
Toad. 2020 Ford Ranger

Ron Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 06:03:45 PM »
Thank you Ed and John and Steve. Ed, my monitor is a Voyager don't know the camera make and would like the information you have on the weak point etc. Also although I have not looked closely I need to know how to access where the monitor cable connects to the camera cable [I am told it is somewhere up behind the switch where the curtain switch is???] You can PM me or email me at rjohnson8600@gmail.com.

I've decided not to have the shop do it as it is too much $$. I think I need to do a fix myself then later do an electronics/sound system upgrade. I cannot start this fix myself for a week or so however am looking forward to getting ready for it. Thanks again for your assistance.

One more question .. as the monitor is broken I cannot tell whether the camera works or not . is there a way to test for this???

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »
Marty S.,

Can you chime in on the brand of camera you had, that we repaired, so we can see if we are dealing with the same brand camera.

Thanks Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 09:23:03 PM »
Ron,

This may help or not. The camera that was intermittent that I worked on was a Weldex. It would go on and off every few minutes. The design was such that the video cable that left the camera went to external RCA connections at the back of the coach which I cleaned and that did not solve the problem. I moved on to the camera internals and found that the method of coupling the video cable to the camera board was much like a computer dual pin slide on small black rectangular plastic coupler that has holes in it, that you push down over two small pins that pass through it. Very common connection type on PC motherboards for small connectors. These connections are not really video quality connections but are common today in electronics. The intermittent restored with movement of the connectors on these pins.

I cleaned the pins with a red scotch brite scuffing pad, used a little CorrosionX on them, and then slightly bent the pins with a pair of tweezers to allow for more friction when the rectangular plastic wire connector was pushed back down over the pins.

This camera had been sent to a factory repair center and they could not find anything wrong with it. My guess is that it was working when they got it. The repair has lasted. The connectors lose tension over the years and oxidation builds up. This may not be your problem, but these connectors have been used for both power and video to the camera boards evidently, at least on this brand, and they are problematic with time. Hope this helps you or someone else.

Later Ed

Ron Johnson

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
Thank you Ed ... We are leaving for points South in a week or so. RV Cams advised they would test the components for free so when I arrive in the US I'll ship them a few things and we'll go from there. In the process i will have located the 'black box' somewhere up by the camera\TV\Switchbox and they can test that too. Again, thanks for the help!