Author Topic: How do You Winterize Samsung Ice Maker  (Read 11505 times)

Mark Bryant

How do You Winterize Samsung Ice Maker
« on: November 01, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
Got to stay where it's cold this year! How the folks with Samsung refrigerators winterize your ice maker? So far I have disconnected the water line to the valve on the refrigerator and drain it.
Is there more to it than that?

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: How do You Winterize Samsung Ice Maker
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 04:49:06 PM »
Mark, do you not have power? Are you turning the refer off? I have had my Samsung for two years and I never have had to "winterize" it. Temps here in the northwest dip down to the teens at times but no problem. I leave the Hydro-Hot on set at 45-50 with the electric element and everything is fine. I do have a piece of insulfoam on the backside of the refer where the access panel is to keep out the cold air. Marty

Mark Bryant

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:28:19 AM »
The coach is going to be stored in a metal garage in northern Indiana with no electric. Our temps average between 0 and 30 degrees in Jan and Feb.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:45:03 AM »
It's killing me to not be able to offer a "has been" Lieutenant's advice to a fellow cockpit crew member!  And, we have the same fridge in the Condo, so am familiar.  The best I found googling was aimed at people that winterize remote cabins and have this fridge.  It seems that most drain the supply line and let the icemaker cycle a couple times.  I don't think I found a perfect Samsung provided answer. 

Sorry you have to be so cold.  A trip or two to the So. China Sea might be useful to warm you up a little!

Dave Blystone

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 02:43:03 AM »
if you do the refrigerator at the same time you do the water system its easyi
I made a jumper wire for the water solenoid   
all you do is take a old extension cord  cut off the female plug end and put two female stake on on the cord
unplug the two wires to the water solenoid and them plug on your new cord that you just made
plug it into a 110 ac plug  that will open the water valve and you can ether blow it out or pump antifreeze in to the icemaker

dave blystone
2001 patriot 33
2014 ford flex

Mark Bryant

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:47:45 AM »
With only one screw holding the solenoid I remove it and drained the lines, job done. Plus we really didn't want the pink stuff in the refrigerator ice system!
And Bill the only way I want do the So China Sea is a good cockpit crew!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:43:54 PM »
            Hi Mark,

The method I have been using since household refrigerators has increased is as follows. I am not a big fan of pumping the non-toxic pink antifreeze thru the fresh water system although highly effective. Since the icemaker water solenoid is difficult to get to, I've been using compressed air to purge the solenoid and water line. You can purchase or fabricate an air inlet fitting that attaches to your city water inlet connection. Pressurize the system to 75 psi. Cycle the icemaker harvester a couple of times. You will know when it happens because the pressure will drop to zero. This method is also effective on other difficult items to winterize such as toilet water valves, exterior showers, pressure washers and washer/dryers.
           Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 03:15:04 PM »
As Fred stated, not fond of the pink stuff, I've always used air to purge out all the water circuits. Make sure to cycle every thing that uses water and don't forget the washing machine. I forgot to cycle the water pump one time and the little cheapo inlet filter cracked, but that's a different story finding out why the pump would not pump.
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 02:58:26 PM »
One caution here is always use the pink RV antifreeze to winterize the hot fresh water circuit on your Aqua Hot. If you depend on only blowing out the water in the Aqua Hot, there will remain enough water in the Aqua Hot fresh water circuit to settle to the bottom of a loop to cause freeze damage at times.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks