Author Topic: AGS starts generator on 50 amp service  (Read 4884 times)

Dan Murphy

AGS starts generator on 50 amp service
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:41:55 AM »
I can't figure out why my generator started while we are on 50  amp  shore power. We were using a lot of power because both air conditioners were running and Kris was using the induction stove and she also started the micro-wave.There were lights on also. As she stated the microwave the generator kicked on.

We had not blown any breaker and I just turned it off and all was good but why would it come on?? The batts should have been fully charged on a sunny day and  50 amp shore power. The power is good with 122 volts on each leg.

Is there something I should be looking at?? Any thoughts??

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: AGS starts generator on 50 amp service
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:00:52 AM »
My coach has a 12.5kw Quiet Diesel Onan.  I can start and stop it by toggle switches on the dash and generator, through the Silverleaf control panel, and through the Xantrex control panel.  Through the Silverleaf and Xantrex control panels the generator can be programmed also to start and stop using the "exercise" function.  Also through the Xantrex control panel the generator can be started automatically when the batteries get below pre-programed levels for specific lengths of time, for example, LE 12.5v for 24 hours, or LE 12.2v for 2 hours, or LE 12.1v for 15 minutes.  I think that's it... but not sure.  The complexity of the generator programming through the Silverleaf and Xantrex can be confusing.

I think there is also a way to program the generator to start if the inverter is asked to provide wattage GE to a pre-programmed amount.

PS -  LE means Less than or Equal, GE means Greater than or equal.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 03:59:00 AM »
Like David, I find the AGS confusing at times.  In the electrical bay, at least on our coach model, lives the venerable AGS module.  When we first got the coach, I tried programming that module and coordinating with the Magnum remote inside the coach, but it only seemed to result in chaos.  The instructions, though concise, were too involved for my limited intellect;  even though I eventually thought I understood them, in practice the result was counter to my intent.

As you know, it can be set for a minimum battery voltage, but also timelines, and temperatures to complement the settings on the air conditioners.  Any of those could have factored in to crank the genset, but possibly the inverter charger may not have had enough left with all that demand you report, and you reached the low end of the voltage setting, for whatever crazy reason, triggering the genset reaction upon microwave activation.

I pretty much gave up on the AGS, and long ago either set the module in the bay so it wouldn't crank up the genset except in extraordinary circumstances, or shut it down altogether via the remote panel over the entry door.  That's not to say I might not yet try to use it to insure battery maintenance while we are temporarily absent one day.  Neither does that insure the thing will work as intended :) .

Joel 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:03:18 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »
             Hi Dan,

Out of all the support systems out there for luxury coaches, the AGS is hard to understand and manage. I've tried to explain this to customers who think they need it enabled even though they are living in the coach.
  The original concept was to exercise the generator and keep your house batteries charged or cool your coach for the benefit of your pets while you are away and are "dry camping". There are certain parameters that tell the AGS system to start the generator. It sounds like you were near one of the threshold requirements while you were using the coach or you have a failure in the control module. I encourage owners to disable the system until you really have an application that calls for it. You can disable it at the Silverleaf under the generator menu or at the Magnum remote. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »
I agree with Fred and have our AGS function turned off. I think I have a pretty good understanding of how it functions and how to set it up but I don't bother.
I suppose it would be a great thing as a safety thing if you were to leave your pooch in the coach in blazing hot weather and your shore power went south. So the AGS would fire the gen-set for the A/C units to keep the coach cool.