Author Topic: SMC Leveling System  (Read 10072 times)

Dick Grover

SMC Leveling System
« on: November 08, 2015, 01:46:59 AM »
I have a problem with the SMC leveling system on our 2003 Marquis.  It appears the control module is trying to do everything at once.  The switch for system power on-off and manual retract doesn't do anything.  The hydraulic pump runs all the time so I have disconnected the wire from the leveling system to the pump solenoid.  Thankfully the jacks are all up and the slide out works.  I contacted Allied tech and they were no help, said electronic replacement parts from IDS were not available and only option was conversion to a manual control system. I contacted BCS and they have a conversion they developed that costs about $3,500 installed.  Has anyone had any experience with this conversion or information on IDS replacement parts?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: SMC Leveling System
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 01:56:14 AM »
I have a problem with the SMC leveling system on our 2003 Marquis.  It appears the control module is trying to do everything at once.  The switch for system power on-off and manual retract doesn't do anything.  The hydraulic pump runs all the time so I have disconnected the wire from the leveling system to the pump solenoid.  Thankfully the jacks are all up and the slide out works.  I contacted Allied tech and they were no help, said electronic replacement parts from IDS were not available and only option was conversion to a manual control system. I contacted BCS and they have a conversion they developed that costs about $3,500 installed.  Has anyone had any experience with this conversion or information on IDS replacement parts?
Dick, there is a guy in Kissimmee Florida who rebuilt my system with a manual control panel.  It has been working well for going on 2 years now.  He did good work on my coach.  He worked at Orlando RV at the time but does mobile work now I think.  His name is Nandy, his number is 813-409-8717.  Don't know where you are but I figured I would chime in.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 03:06:48 AM »
I have a 2003 ruby with the BCS  conversion . Yes it works .. Manually...  someone at BCS developed it and worked out a manual way to run the jacks. I don't Know of a way to Automate level as original.  That said I also have the HWH air bag  auto leveling which I normally use and don't use the SMC frame to axle jacks. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:09:57 AM by William Jordan »

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 05:22:34 AM »
I was under the impression (from a post on this forum) that BCS, about 2 years ago, came up with a manual change over kit for the SMC leveling system for about $1250. installed, not $3500. The post also stated the kit would be available for around $700. to the self installer. What the heck happened to that? Marty

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »
Also, I had understood from previous posts here that HWH had a system installed for about 4K all new!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »
This is the information, but I do not know if the conversion ever became a reality.

From Gerald Ferris on July 4, 2013:

"The cost of the control panel at BCS to convert the SMC leveling system to a manually controlled system is approximately $900 for the kit and $500 labor for installation."

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,2696.msg20171.html#msg20171
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:38:39 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 05:16:02 PM »
Also, I had understood from previous posts here that HWH had a system installed for about 4K all new!

Keith, HWH did an install on my 2001 Contessa in July of 2014. I had a left rear hydraulic jack leaking bad and was told at that time non reparable.

They disconnected the jack hydraulics, capped off the lines and removed the two front jacks. The rear jacks were too much work for them so they left the rear jacks on the coach.

They installed a new compressor, rewired and re tubed the air bags to control the leveling of the coach with air only. They removed the existing control panel, and installed and modified a new control panel.

Since I arrived home I had the rear two jacks removed from the coach. The right rear I have sold along with the control pad. Still have the left rear(leaking one) and both good front jacks for sale.

The system that HWH installed took 2 1/2 days at the Moscow, Iowa factory at a cost of $4976.00! I have heard that they don't offer this upgrade anymore but can put an air system in for double the price. Not sure if that is a fact or not though!

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 12:06:46 AM »
Lamonte,
you could have gone all day without telling me this.  5K was bad enough but at least offered an option if there was a catastrophic failure of the SMC.
Unlike the worst of the recession, many shops now get so busy they want a premium on parts and labor.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dick Grover

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 01:13:11 AM »
Dick, there is a guy in Kissimmee Florida who rebuilt my system with a manual control panel.  It has been working well for going on 2 years now.  He did good work on my coach.  He worked at Orlando RV at the time but does mobile work now I think.  His name is Nandy, his number is 813-409-8717.  Don't know where you are but I figured I would chime in.  Good luck.
Jerry
Thanks, I'm in Arizona now but that might be a good excuse to visit Florida.  Peace & Grace

Roland DuBree

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 08:15:46 PM »
To those with the SMC leveling system and the axle jacks - so called non repairable - Yes the are!  If sent to Custom Cylinders int'l in Winchester, KY 859-744-5544 they are repairable. Cost me $425.00 + Fgt to have my left rear rebuilt and it now works fine.  Beaver Coach sales Parts will also supply replacements for $995.00 with a trade in of your old one. As far as the control panels I'm sure a salvage yard and internet searching could find them some place or someone who repairs them.  Got to be a less costly fix than everything all new!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 08:59:03 PM »
I've got two front SMC era jacks in great shape for spares'

$150 each.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:08:39 AM by LaMonte Monnell »
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Dick Grover

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 04:47:44 AM »
I bought the kit from BCS, now $1,650, to replace the leveler control module with their manual control and installed it myself.  Easy installation with good instructions and wire labels.  Manual system works good, just not as handy as pressing a button & letting the control module do the work.