Author Topic: Yet Another Question-parking brakes  (Read 7848 times)

Robin Goffrier

Yet Another Question-parking brakes
« on: November 15, 2015, 05:32:42 PM »
I was reading a thread on a failed parking break and how to address it.  Inop parking break conjures up visions of one of these behemoths rolling off on its own, unattended.  That, to me anyway, is frightening. If this is possible, do any/many of you routinely block your wheels? Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 02:47:22 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Ron Johnson

Re: Yet Another Question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
I do NOW .. after rolling slightly at a fuel station 4 yrs ago I had the pads replaced and last year after an inspection had the whole assembly replaced.

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 06:03:44 PM »
Robin,

There have been Beaver models with various parking brake arrangements that are more prone to problems. Your particular coach has rear air disk brakes which as long as they are adjusted right are quite trouble free. They are pressured with air in the chambers to keep them released while driving. When you pull the parking brake knob to set them, air is released from the brake chambers and mechanical springs are used to enable the brake.

As a driver you should know how to operate automatic slack adjusters and about once a year (depending on travel) have the slack adjusters adjusted to spec manually along with having your pads checked for thickness vs the spec. These adjusters allow for the proper "slack" and enable the actuators to engage the brake with the proper leverage and mechanical advantage that they require. Available breaking force can be affected by being out of proper  adjustment.

I make a mental note to always double check that the brake knob is set when parked. Whenever I leave the driver seat I recheck that the knob is pulled up and again whenever I exit the coach door. My fear is forgetting to do that chore rather than the system failing. I think it is wise if you have kids that visit or a pet in the coach that you have something available that slips under the brake knob that would prevent it from being pushed down accidentally. 

I have only blocked the coach wheels when I needed to do something underneath that required that the parking brake be off.

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 03:51:36 AM »
I do NOW .. after rolling slightly at a fuel station 4 yrs ago I had the pads replaced and last year after an inspection had the whole assembly replaced.

I've had issues with the parking brake on my MH but haven't needed to replace anything major other than the air actuator which failed a couple of years ago.  I've ruined a couple of sets of pads because of an air pressure leak which resulted in pad dragging, but I haven't found any reason to replace the caliper.  From your comment that you replaced the "whole assembly" I assume you replaced the caliper.  I'm curious as to what you found wrong with yours; so far for me it's been one of the more reliable parts of the brake system.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:05:59 AM »
My old photo I've posted here before won't load this time.  It's fuzzy anyway.  I'll need to retake it and try to post later.  But referring to Ed's comment as to preventing unintended button depression, by a child or pet, I too was worried about that when our coach was new and made a stop device to fit under the switch out of PVC pipe and Velcro.  It hangs conveniently over the flexible map light arm while on the road.

Just measure the gap under the yellow cap with the brake set, and using a hack saw cut a short length of PVC pipe accordingly.  Then cut that in half lengthwise and file/roundover all edges smooth.  Fit the two halves back together and glue one length of Velcro all the way around it to leave one cut side hinged and the other open.  Then glue a second shorter piece of the complimentary Velcro to one side in such a way it can overlap and close the open side around the switch button shaft.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Yet Another Question-parking brakes
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 06:50:19 PM »
Included in the photo is a pen for some size perspective.  The outside diameter of the original pipe (before the two lengthwise cuts) was probably 7/8".  The finished length is 1 1/4" to fit under the yellow knob.

I wrapped and glued the "loop" Velcro material around both and left a 3/4" tab sticking out, to the inside of which I glued about an inch and a half of the "hook" Velcro material.  If you don't completely wrap the hook stuff around, you can leave a half inch tab to grab for easy removal from the brake button shaft.

-Joel
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:43:30 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Lee Welbanks

Re: Yet Another Question-parking brakes
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:21:08 AM »
Took a old style wood clothes line pin and shaved a little off it and it clips perfectly under the E Brake knob, fast and easy. Our little pooch could jump up and down on the brake bottom and it would not move, take pretty good force to apply it.
Grandson turned on the overhead drivers lights once and I had a heck of a time trying to find the switch for those lights, they are on the headlight switch,,,,go figure, heck I never turn them on. Way to many switches for a grandson to stay away from.