Author Topic: BLACK TANK FLUSHER  (Read 9354 times)

George Harwell

BLACK TANK FLUSHER
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:49:26 PM »
Black tank flush has almost no flow. I suspect the anti-siphon valve or some kind of restriction in the line. The anti-siphon valve is on the wall behind the washer so will require removing it to get the valve removed. Just wondering if anyone has experienced difficulties with this valve before I jump in with both feet.THANKS!

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: BLACK TANK FLUSHER
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:43:10 PM »
On ours the hose from the bay mounting point to the tank was too long and settled into a kink in the hose that restricted the flow. It has settled into the kink over time but was a very easy fix.

Bill Schneider

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
I had this same problem and it was the flushing nozzle in the black tank. I removed it from the tank and cleaned it and that's all it took.  I believe the nozzle became clogged over time by my not using the flushing system everytime I emptied the tank.  I now take the time to rinse the tank everytime and the problem has not returned. Be sure to clean the old sealant off the tank before applying new sealant when you reinstall the nozzle. You do not want a leak!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 10:20:39 PM »
George,

We had similar symptoms when our rig was a few months old.  Finally one day I parked next to the infrequently used dump at the Bend Service Center and waited the hour it took to drain the tank.  I flushed it a bit with the built-in rinser and waited for that to drain.  Then I used long sleeved rubber gloves and reached up beyond the black's valve with a coathanger I'd bent a little crook into.  Poking around and pulling, it wasn't long before I disgorged a 3 inch diameter piece of black plastic.  

Turns out this is very common.  When they install the waste tanks and cut out the hole for the valve fittings, the cut-out often flops inside the tank and is not removed because the guys don't have time to dig it out.  It may not be an immediate problem for the new owner, but eventually that little disk will work its way back to in front of the outlet, with each flush of the tank.  Then it flips up and can jam in the opening rather than float cleanly out.  

Try the coathanger, George.  If your last tank emptying procedure was slow-going, and you have the same problem I describe, then that little disk is right there at the valve cutout and can be easily fenagled out.  I fully thought I was going to find some kid had stuck a towel down the john while the coach was showroomed, so was surprised when my coathanger drug out that disk within 20 seconds. ;)
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Rogers

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »
Quote from: Joel Ashley
George,

We had similar symptoms when our rig was a few months old.  Finally one day I parked next to the infrequently used dump at the Bend Service Center and waited the hour it took to drain the tank.  I flushed it a bit with the built-in rinser and waited for that to drain.  Then I used long sleeved rubber gloves and reached up beyond the black's valve with a coathanger I'd bent a little crook into.  Poking around and pulling, it wasn't long before I disgorged a 3 inch diameter piece of black plastic.  

Turns out this is very common.  When they install the waste tanks and cut out the hole for the valve fittings, the cut-out often flops inside the tank and is not removed because the guys don't have time to dig it out.  It may not be an immediate problem for the new owner, but eventually that little disk will work its way back to in front of the outlet, with each flush of the tank.  Then it flips up and can jam in the opening rather than float cleanly out.  

Try the coathanger, George.  If your last tank emptying procedure was slow-going, and you have the same problem I describe, then that little disk is right there at the valve cutout and can be easily fenagled out.  I fully thought I was going to find some kid had stuck a towel down the john while the coach was showroomed, so was surprised when my coathanger drug out that disk within 20 seconds. ;)
Is the OP talking about the flush valve or the dump valve ?? i think the flush valve???

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:32:03 AM »
Reckon if there's another opening on the black tank besides the outlet and inlet, and maybe a spray rinse system and a vent, then I'm ignorant of it.  But he didn't say "flush valve".  I'm still thinking he's simply talking about having trouble getting sewage to flow out of the tank upon dumping.

Clear it up for us George.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

George Harwell

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 02:40:41 AM »
Sorry for the confusion. I am referring to the black tank flusher, not the drain valve. Joel, went thru your blocked drain situation 4 years ago and the 3 inch cutout was the culprit. Hope this clears things on this subject.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 09:48:23 PM »
OK.  Reckon I'll admit error on this one  :B, cuz by flusher you must mean the tank rinsing system.  Given that, I spose the problem could be a faulty vacuum breaker, or partly closed/jammed check valve downstream of it, but the spray nozzle(s) in the tank can become clogged if not regularly used, preferrably with each tank dumping.  Swan Industries in Bend may proffer some guidance:

sales@swanindustries.com

1-800-228-7926

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Rogers

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 03:53:13 PM »
George .... I don't have an answer but have a suggestion. Locate the tubing/pipe that goes into the black tank. Beginning at the tank un-hook/un-clamp and see if you have sufficient water pressure coming to the tank. If not continue work back up to the source. There might be a check valve in the system somewhere to prohibit black water from working it's way back into the water supply.

GO DUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George Harwell

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »
Good news. I removed the glued in flusher on the black tank and found the gecko's (little lizzard) tail.Pulled the washer/dryer out to gain access to the anti-siphon valve,removed it and found the rest of the remains inside. Wasn't smelling very good. Had to order a new flush valve, luckily Bend parts had one. Also installed a screen on the inlet. Thanks to all for the help.