Author Topic: Overheat issue continued!  (Read 14080 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Overheat issue continued!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 09:08:26 PM »
Sorry that you have had issues Larry! I know that I try to do what I can myself, but this was beyond my capabilities so I put my trust in them.

Of course everyone has told me to take it to the Cat service if you need anything done to the engine. That is why it is there.  They have had the new  thermostats out once and late yesterday they were pulling them again. I did ask them about the belt routing, also the fan being correctly installed.

Radiator guy wanted to know if they replaced the new thermostats a second time? I think they are going to do that now. Radiator is clean and they are going to eat the cost of cleaning and labor costs for the R & R of that.

I still say something they did: thermostats , belts, or fan has to be it, but they are the experts they told me and will get it done at their cost now.....

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 09:11:02 PM »
Sorry that you have had issues Larry! I know that I try to do what I can myself, but this was beyond my capabilities so I put my trust in them.

Of course everyone has told me to take it to the Cat service if you need anything done to the engine. That is why it is there.  They have had the new  thermostats out once and late yesterday they were pulling them again. I did ask them about the belt routing, also the fan being correctly installed.

Radiator guy wanted to know if they replaced the new thermostats a second time? I think they are going to do that now. Radiator is clean and they are going to eat the cost of cleaning and labor costs for the R & R of that.

I still say something they did: thermostats , belts, or fan has to be it, but they are the experts they told me and will get it done at their cost now.....

I had this issue with a Harley back in 2004...they could not get a bike repaired so it ran correct, ended up replacing that bike with a newer one, and custom painted the sidecar to match the new one and installed it free of charge......then after all that they refused to work on it......
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 11:32:46 PM »
Lamote, sure glad to hear things are going back together and you now reniforced your point
on the radiator, ( cost is on them ). I would suggest, being the radiator was ok all along and they
choose not to send radiator out first time as indicated to you and spending additional time removing
Charged Air Cooler of which would have been cleaned when the radiator first was to be removed.
Being cards in your favor, there is a lot of labor that was not called starting when they told
you the thermostats needed to come back out to check if problem. There is also a Cat Hot Line
Number you can call if they try push heavy on the pencil on your billing. I do know one thing
Caterpillar Hot line does not like hearing something that you have just went through. A little
food for thought on your motorhome being in there service shop for a month on a very simple
repair. From Cat business stand point that service bay has to generate X amount of money daily,
and having your motorhome in that bay someone has to account for what is going on. This also
tells me being retired cat mechanic, business work must be very slow on the earthmoving side.
Hope to see you at some of the rallys in the south in the spring and can recheck your engine
with Cat ET to make sure you do not have something over looked.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

Edward Buker

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 12:45:54 AM »
LaMonte,

This has been a trial for you and I agree that there is something in the mix of repairs that they did that likely caused this. Thermostats are top on my list but that is just a somewhat educated guess. I had my last motorhome go down in Denver due to a faulty cat fuel filter redesign and they treated me right after I had to be towed in. Hopefully they will do what is right here also...

Later Ed

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 03:03:06 AM »
I forgot about the Cat Hot line, I'd have lite it on fire by this time and the manager at that Cat dealer would know me personally by now.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
[ There is also a Cat Hot Line
Number you can call if they try push heavy on the pencil on your billing. I do know one thing
Caterpillar Hot line does not like hearing something that you have just went through.
[/quote]

What is the number for the CAT Hotline? I'm going to call tomorrow and talk with them.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
CAT 3126B

Weeki Wachee,Fl
The following users thanked this post: Dave Atherton

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:05 PM »
Lamote, Call Caterpillar Factory Customer Services ( 24 hour service )
800-447-4986. this is the process Step 1, Discuss problem with dealership.
Step 2, appears problem cannot be readily resolved at dealership contact,
Step 3 , Caterpillar Factory Customer Services 800-447-4986

Cat Office of Business Practice 309-494-4393

first may be very helpful 800-300-7898 open 24 hour and indepent service that will write down
all information and push it up ladder

E-mail: Businesspractices@cat.com

Been awhile since had to use this information but would suggest in contact first 800-300-7898
any Questions that I can help you with will help out. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 10:42:05 PM »
LaMonte
Not to take away from what others are saying. 
If I understand correctly you have a rear radiator?  There is an inline transmission cooler?  Built into the coolant hose?  If this is right has this unit been checked?  Any chance it could get hot and begin restricting coolant flow?
Something simple has been overlooked in this story somewhere. 
If there is no restriction in the coolant flow in the engine, ie the thermostat.  If none of the hoses are collapsed and the radiator is not blocked inside or out then something was overlooked.  Perhaps the waterpump.  I have had one go on a car that was turning properly but the impeller inside the pump was hit and miss.

Best
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!