Author Topic: Running TV Cables  (Read 5268 times)

Gil_Johnson

Running TV Cables
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
Has anyone run cables from the factory DVD/Stereo location in the forward, upper right cabinet to where the large TV is in the middle of the coach?  I want to relocate the satellite receiver and DVD so the large screen TV can actually display HD.  I'm thinking that running through the basement is the easiest.  The problem I have is where to come up in the front of the coach and into the factory location.  I tried taking off the curb side "A" pillar cover and discovered it was installed before the upper cabinets, so it won't come off.

Thoughts or first hand experience?

Gil
2008 Contessa 42

LEAH DRAPER

Re: Running TV Cables
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
This may be a "stupid" question, BUT if your coach came with the big TV in the center of the coach, is not the wiring in place already from the factory?  I had Bend Service Center install my Satalite Dish and perhaps they could give you some guidance on this issue.  I have noticed when on my roof that there is a label/marking that indicates where the cables are located for installing a dish.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:57:35 PM »
Leah,

The factory cabling from the DVD and satellite hardware location is coax to the center TV!  The HD cabling is going to the small TV over the windshield.  I believe this is a common mistake by many coach builders.  The DVD and Satellite receiver needs to be located near the large center TV.  There's a great shelf above the TV that would be perfect.  Not only does this fix the HD problem, but it gets the electronics out of the original location that's not really large enough for the equipment.  I can make it work with the coax that's there to move the satellite receiver.  The only issue then is that I wouldn't be able to view satellite channels or the DVD on the front TV.  If I have to go down that path I'll install a small DVD only up front for the small TV and it will be restricted to DVD or over the air TV.  Maybe, that's my best approach.

Gil

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:02:33 AM »
Gil
Are you sure that the cabling for both TV's won't handle HD.  My understanding is that it is not the cable, but the equipment attached to it that has to be HD.  You should be able to have HD reception if you have a TV/DVD that is HD capable.  
Maybe I am not understanding your question/situation.  
Maybe some one else will chime in on this with a different perspective.

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:10:22 AM »
Digital is supported over a coax feed, HD is not.

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 04:32:50 PM »
COAX CABLE supports BOTH, check it out further.