Author Topic: Racor clear plastic fuel filter (R300200)  (Read 18620 times)

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
Racor clear plastic fuel filter (R300200)
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:32:36 PM »
All,

Does anyone know where to get these filters?  Have searched and googled to no avail, but do have a couple places to call on Monday.
Will update the supplier information when available.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Racor clear plastic fuel filter (R300200)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
Mike,
Not sure if this is what you want but 300200 crosses to a NAPA Part Number: R59D10EV5. Wix also lists this filter when you drop the R and use 300200 as your lookup number.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »
Steve,

Those came up as a hydraulic filter element on the Wix web site.  I am looking for the part number for the plastic primary fuel filter with screen before the primary fuel filter.

Best regards,

Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »
Michael Rump, looking over pictures I would suggest in removing your present setup and
Install Cat # 133-5671 filter with plastic bowel with drain along with Cat # 137-4367 filter
base.  Same time install update cat 238-0296 check valve which is the new replacement for
156-5783 check valve.  Would suggest in replacement of the Raycore filter assembly which pictures show with the Cat filter setup which primary filter is 10 micron. It is possible being a after-
market setup the black inside filter plastic bowel could be from o-ring or fuel hose feeding
Primary fuel filter from fuel tank. The Raycore filter setup is no longer made and looking at picture
Do not think problem is in fuel filter check valve but in your Raycore setup. I have had lots of
problem with that system sucking air. Note: location level of fuel than startup and note fuel
level at high idle. I do believe problem is located at present filter.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 05:13:15 AM »
Michael,

Is the unit in the center of this photo the unit you are referring to with the screen in the vertical plastic bowl?

Later Ed

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Ed,

That's it!

Thanks.
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »
I read this forum a lot to add to my limited knowledge. This has me confused, Ed. There are 4 items in the picture, so which one is in the middle? Also, one of them is not a fuel filter, just an air filter indicator, yet its the only 1 I can tell that is a clear plastic.

Could you elaborate, please?

Thank you,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
I read this forum a lot to add to my limited knowledge. This has me confused, Ed. There are 4 items in the picture, so which one is in the middle? Also, one of them is not a fuel filter, just an air filter indicator, yet its the only 1 I can tell that is a clear plastic.

The item he is referring to is just to the right of the "white" Racor filter and is "in the center" between the Racor and the Cat filters.  I had this piece of plastic break on mine a couple of years ago and the replacement info provided above is correct.  The Racor filter originally used in these coaches was discontinued a number of years ago but by now most of them have been updated to use a Racor S3230P which is fairly easy to obtain. 

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
Stan, in question as I answered Michael is the center picture with vertical plastic tube. note: o-rings seal
both the top and bottom of this tube that cause air entry. Racor has stopped making this model. looking
top of picture Note: black fuel hose and crimped JIC hydraulic fitting. I have ran into several add-on filters,
that use rubber hose that breaks down as picture of filter bowel and what we are going to find in Michael case.
Going back again to vertical plastic tube, the fuel level needs to be at top of plastic tube running and in Michael
when engine speeds up will drop about a inch from bottom of plastic tube. I have posted this several times on forum
and great to ask question as many of these models are in use. In time as I posted before there are problems
and I keep running in to the same problem. I have and passed around at Branson the Racor filter in question
and entry points of air other than the plastic tube o-rings.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »
Dave is pointing out the correct feature of concern on the Racor filter arrangement, the vertical plastic tube to the left of the Cat filter. I had done considerable research with Racor going back to getting the original Wynn designer (see below) I had replaced the tube and Orings thinking I had an air leak and it did not resolve the void in the plastic tube...when the purge pump fails you will have to change this unit out and Dave has pointed us to a good alternative.

The Orings age and the plastic ages and can crack. If you see yellowing of the plastic, cracks in the plastic, any fuel seepage this unit needs to be updated. It would be wise given those weaknesses to have a change interval of 10 years in mind for the plastic tube unless a visual inspection shows concern sooner.

From prior posts...
While I know in the world of diesel fuel filter bowls and filtration that they are normally full with no air passing through them and that air is the devil. If you are talking about the 12963 unit with the clear plastic filter and vertical metal screen I can assure you that unit will not be full by design. I had the same questions about that unit and called Racor Tech support, they actually got hold of the Wynn designer and we had a 3 way discussion regarding this unit, how it was designed, and how it functions. If it was a closed plastic housing on the bottom of a filter then it would separate water (water settling at the bottom) and any air would flow out the top fuel exit and the housing would stay full of fuel by design with no air leaks.

The vertical tube with the screen is a large debris filter that was built in in the inlet stream just to supply minimal filtering so the electric purge pump did not get damaged. The fluid by flow characteristics is actually pulled apart creating a void and this is not caused by air coming in. I changed the Orings and plastic housing in mine thinking I had a leak that allowed air in and the results were the same. A new filter with less restriction actually changes the level of fuel in this housing. I think the suction pulling the fuel up out of the housing exceeds the ability of the flow coming in. If you watch closely you will see that there is actually no air within the incoming fuel stream. This is a strange design that goes against all diesel fuel supply logic and I have a hard time visualizing how this works also, but it does...strange but true.

From another post:

The reason for my post was to let folks on the forum know that for the Parker 12963, having the vertical plastic housing with the metal screen inside not be full while running the engine, is unique as far as visible diesel sediment bowls (which this is not) is concerned and that they should not to be alarmed by this, it is due to the design. The only time it is full is when you shut down. Unit in this link.

https://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/menuitem.bb22d5a82bbb5b147cf26710237ad1ca/?vgnextoid=a2d9b5bbec622110VgnVCM10000032a71dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&vgnextcatid=2913342&vgnextcat=RK12963%20INTEGRATED%20RETROFIT%20KIT&vgnextdiv=687630&vgnextpartno=RK%2012963&Wtky=

These units are not without their flaws. The electric pumps are prone to fail in time, so if you cannot purge this unit it needs to be replaced. The plastic housing for the screen tends to crack with age so that should be changed at some interval, and the Orings on the plastic housing can fail. Any seepage of fuel on these units should get sourced and corrected. My diesel mechanic showed me the fuel void in the plastic housing and told me I needed a new filter unit, he said he had changed out several already for this same problem. I would guess that many of these units have been mistakenly changed over the years thinking they are an air leak source. He was not alone in assuming these units are bad.

If anyone has a 12963 unit that has a full screen housing that remains full while idling let us know. I believe the fuel pull is out the bottom and there is a column of air free fuel leaving the plastic housing as long as there are no cracks or leaking Orings.  It is just the nature of the beast by design...

This is a posting about the O-Rings...
A little follow up....I changed all of my fuel filters today and installed the 300200 new filter screen in the plastic housing. There are a total of 4 Orings involved if you want to renew what was installed to seal the plastic housing ends. The two that come with the new housing are .609 ID by .139CS and are a Part Number 208 (AS568B Aero Space Standard Sizing). These are the larger CS (cross section) O-rings and reside in a recess at the end of the metal castings that face the plastic screen filter housing. About 1/2 inch inside the housing at the top and bottom is a recess in the casting where the .612ID by .103CS Part Number 114 resides.

The only problem I had was with a full tank of fuel I was getting siphoning and the fuel flow would not stop. In the end I had to tightening the old housing back up and move the RV to park nose down in order to stop the fuel flow. My driveway has about a 16 inch rise from front to rear wheels parked and that did the trick. I called Gerald about my fuel flow issue and he had put new O rings in his when he had less than a 1/4 tank of fuel and did not have the problem. (Gerald thanks for the insight as always) I still think carrying a set of these 4 Orings is a good idea just in case you begin to see fuel seepage from the housing...Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
This place still has a listing for the plastic part

http://www.boatstore.com/racor-300200-prefilter-w-o-ring-200-mic.html

Note my post on Orings because the kit does not include all the required ones.

Later Ed

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 04:36:16 PM »
Hi Ed,

Just talked to the boatstore and these are readily available.  Thanks to all for the feedback.

Best regards, and Merry Christmas!

Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
With all due respect, Dave is pointing out weak points in this design that need to be watched. At some point many of us will need to migrate to some alternative and he has provided an excellent choice that is a much simpler trouble free design when any of us are needing to or want to make this change.

Later Ed

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 05:26:01 AM »
Gentleman, All Cat owner have a very fine engine that will go the
extra mile. Now looking at years and many miles problems are starting to stand out. Some
of these problems,  the chassis Mfg, and motorhome builder have created. Modified Caterpillar
systems by removing, adding aftermarket systems to meet chassis mfg. build spec's. Note:
Caterpillar shipped engines complete ready to start and run. Problem that I have run into
several with fuel system modified and aftermarket parts, weight pro and con. Update turn around
on parts when owner is along side road. Looking ahead like Joel mentioned, I been removing
aftermarket parts and replacement back to the way the engines were shipped using cat parts.
Add on of Coolant Level sensor ( is not caterpillar part ) but chassis mfg and has caused many
costly repairs for a $ 37.00 circuit board. This aftermarket add on is programed into the ECM
as engine derate. Cat engine feature is programed at factory to no. Looking ahead we can debate
Dave's post updates on cat electronic engines including removing older aftermarket add on parts.
I'm suggesting, broke down and root cause of problem points in above direction than repair with
easy to get parts. Being a retired cat mechanic, advice should be look forward with update cat parts.
Happy holiday, Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:26:58 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
The following users thanked this post: Jim Edwards