Author Topic: 2000 Marquis Basement Air Conditioner  (Read 41447 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Re: 2000 Marquis Basement Air Conditioner
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
The Good Sam's tech came yesterday.  Now we have to wait for the approval.  

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2011, 02:31:55 PM »
The actual removal took 4 hours helped I am sure by Gerald's instructions. The HVAC tech Alliance brought in said the copper tubes had "blown off" the compressors because the evaporator coils were dirty !!  They are not that dirty.

Opinions on this website disagree  with the HVAC tech at Alliance Coach and offer the explanation that SCS discovered a design flaw 5 to 6 years ago with the rigid copper tubing fracturing and started installing flexible tubing instead.  
The issue now rests with Good Sam's Extended warranty Gold Plan which I have.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:31:06 PM by 5 »

Edward Buker

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 06:49:44 PM »
Jeramy,

It is true that gas pressure can increase significantly with temperature and these are balanced systems in a sense. They rely on air flow to keep the pressure in check. The condenser, evaporator, and fan air flow are designed to work within the limits of the compressor capability and tolerances of the rest of the components. As air flow is restricted, either by dirt or bent fins, in the condensor, you work the system much harder with higher pressures and also reduce the overall cooling performance. There is a comb tool that the HVAC folks have that can straighten the condenser fins. While he has it out the fins should be straightened and you should be sure that the condenser has been cleaned. From what I saw in your photos the dirt level did not obscure the tubes so my guess is there should have been reasonable air flow. I have to assume that the other side of the condenser was similar in appearance but maybe not given that looks to be the side air flow eminates from.

From a failure analysis point of view, what one would expect if this was a pressure fail, is that the weakest pressure component in the system would fail. Usually in a HVAc system there is a means of excessive pressure relief, sometimes a metal plug in the dessicant container. If your weakest pressure point was the copper, it would have produced bulging and thinning walls at first, followed by the thinnest point giving way, blowing outward.  I see none of that indication here in your photos. This looks like a metal fatigue fail due to the vibration of the compressor causing the metal to fatigue and fracture. Soft thick wall copper would be better a better choice and perhaps some means of tubing support at some distance above the compressor, to dampen the copper pipe amount of vibration would help. The photos show a tall vertical run of unsuspended copper tubing left to oscillate which can accelerate the metal fatigue fail. The compressor is the vibration generator but the moment arm of unsuspended piping can actually be the root cause. Hope this helps.

later Ed

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »
Hi Ed,
  I am sure you are right.  There is no evidence of a bulging or  explosion; rather a fatigue fracture  and not one but two !!   It remains to be seen whether Good Sams  will go with the  Alliance Coach outside techs report  or the evidence in the pics!!  
 Alliance Coach are asking for a new RVP 27,000 btu  unit to be installed.
 We are hoping to be mobile by next weekend.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »
Good Sam's (Gold Extended Warranty Plan) approved the claim to include installation of a new RVP 46515-811 $3257 a/c unit and a maximum of 8 hours labour.  The diagnosis was not included.  We have 3/4 hour in hand .
The RVP unit is a different size from the SCS unit.  More hours are needed to configure the filter housing, cold air output, 120 VAC connections, thermostat, etc.  I am assured Alliance Coach will work with us on the final bill, as they want us to leave happy. :)

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
Alliance Coach  are  going to reconfigure the 24,000btu RVP # 46515-811 $3257 unit to fit which Good Sams approved as a replacement .They have used almost all of the 8 hours Good Sams allowed for this job.
We are assured they will work with with us  on the hours billed as they want us to be happy with the final outcome.
It was decided rebuilding the old SCS unit was not a viable  option.
I have since been told that Beaver Coach Sales  rebuild   old SCS units for $3000 ,using your unit as a core.  However it is obvious the New RVP unit is far superior in performance even though it will cost to install.

Glenda Farris Co-Admin

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2011, 04:50:35 PM »
Photos

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Thank you Gerald for shrinking these photos and posting them for me.
 Work started on Thursday morning ,hoping for completion by Thursday June 2nd. Memorial Day weekend means no work Friday or Monday.
Looking at the photos   the return air duct (black rectangular shape with 2 shiny screws(filter access door) and the cold air duct into the coach (top right small square duct) are at opposite ends of the new unit.  

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 02:18:43 PM »
 Wednesday 1st June.
  After starting work last Thursday 26th May ,Alliance Coach have modified the return air and cold air ducting . Modification of the forward bulkhead is required to allow the RVP unit to swivel into position. A new   RVP thermostat is on order as the SCS unit is not compatible .   :-/

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »
Modified return air blower duct

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 07:44:26 PM »
Thursday June 2nd.
  Alliance Coach have removed the forward wall/bulkhead that supports the tray  to allow the RVP a/c unit to swivel into position. They now have to fabricate a thinner support bulkhead as the RVP unit is longer than the old SCS unit. Once the bulkhead is installed they will hook up the modified RVP  unit to the old ducting , connect the 2 110v ac power supplies and install the new RVP thermostat.  

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2011, 07:09:36 PM »
Friday 3rd June
 Alliance Coach  are fabricating new  ducting.In the bottom photo the black square metal box, above the RVP  with 2 ss screws on its face ,is the return air filter tray. The screws undo and the plate folds down to allow the filter to slide out.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »
Monday June 6th 2011.
  Alliance Coach has completed the ducting.  Looks good.  Presently wiring the RVP in.  Looks like the new thermostat lying on the coil of grey wiring in foreground.  The new forward bulkhead is on left.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:01 PM »
Wednesday June 8th. 2011. Day 9 .
  Alliance Coach have told me the following:  " The a/c is ducted, wired and running; it is really cold; in a 1/2 hour while it was 95 degrees outside the coach was cooled down to 65 degrees. They also said the RVP unit is very quiet.
 This might interest some of us who have to let the SCS unit run all day and night, to keep the coach at 80 deg F plus when its over 95 deg F outside.
   They could not reposition the thermostat for a faster installation as the Hurricane Furnace wiring runs inside the slide wall to the same location, which meant they had to remove the wall to run the new thermostat wiring.  The Technician has to reinstall the wall, after installing the thermostat and button things up .

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »
Alliance Coach is going to reconfigure the 24,000btu RVP # 46515-811 $3257 unit to fit, which Good Sams approved as a replacement. The 27,000 btu unit was far too large to fit without severe modifications.
They have used almost all of the 8 hours Good Sam allowed for this job.
We are assured, they will work with with us on the hours billed, as they want us to be happy with the final outcome.
It was decided, rebuilding the old SCS unit was not a viable  option.
I have since been told that Beaver Coach Sales, rebuilds old SCS units for $3000, using your unit as a core.  However, it is obvious the New RVP unit is far superior in performance, even though it will cost to install.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:34:17 PM by 5 »