Author Topic: Brake fluid jelling  (Read 3670 times)

darell ottoson

Brake fluid jelling
« on: December 24, 2015, 11:43:54 PM »
I responded to Dale Thompsons post on locating the brake fluid reservoir. I found mine about one month ago and it was very low. I just purchased my 1996 30 Monterey about 3 months ago. It just turned over 70,000 actual miles. I have not had any brake problems but found the reservoir very low in both sides of the reservoir so topped it out with DOT 3 when I discovered it low. I have put about 500 moles since, I checked them today and both sides were still full but the one on the left as viewed from the drivers seat has turned to a jelly like substance. It is hard to tell how far down but at least the top 1 " is like jelly.
Wonder if any one else has experienced this. I am thinking of sucking the reservoir dry and refilling with new clean fluid and bleeding the system and refill as I do.
   Has anyone else experienced this or do you have any advice? Thanks Darell "Otto"

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Brake fluid jelling
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 01:30:01 AM »
Darell,
No direct experience but have heard that mixing brake fluids e.g DOT3 and DOT5, can result in jelling or adding new to very old/dirty fluid can result in same condition. In either case sounds like a good system flush before refilling is warranted. Other members may be more knowledgeable here.
Steve
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 02:42:50 AM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Brake fluid jelling
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 02:35:18 AM »
Steve, the system needs  a good flush and put back with Dot 3 type brake fluid. What will happen
Brake fluid breaking down from foreign contamination is going to remove operation of master
cylinder braking power pushing down on brake pedal. Also sounds like someone could have mixed engine oil into master cylinder fill point. Need to find out what is going, because wheel cylinders
piston cups could swell and not give braking force on wheel cylinders. Happy holidays
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic