Author Topic: Replacing Windshield Wiper Pivot ????  (Read 6259 times)

Jay Savelle

Replacing Windshield Wiper Pivot ????
« on: December 26, 2015, 04:43:26 AM »
Greetings All,

Driver's side wiper came completely off windshield and became stuck off windshield in front of mirror.
Local RV shop states driver side pivot completely stripped and needs to be replaced; along with new windshield wiper arm and blade. They gave quote of $640.00 just for labor!

Can this pivot be reached from the generator compartment? I've read on this forum that the 2006 Monterey wipers have a history of problems. We have the Montclair IV. Has anyone had this same problem, and was anyone able to replace this pivot on their own? At $125.00 an hour, does it really take that many hours to replace it to justify $640.00 in labor fees?

Thanks for your advice, input, and help ..... Much Appreciated!!

Edward Buker

Re: Replacing Windshield Wiper Pivot ????
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 01:47:38 PM »
Jay,

You may want them to pull the wiper arm and see what is stripped. There is usually a small round soft metal splined interface piece that couples the wiper arm drive of the shaft to the blade arm at the base. That part is made to strip if too much force is being exerted on the blade/arm drive system. These parts wear over time from any looseness and tend to shear.

I am not saying that is what is wrong with yours, it may be damaged internal parts of the drive system, but you may want to start at the base of the wiper arm, below the nut, and get a better understanding if the drive system or the splined interface is at fault. I have been able to get that splined piece at NAPA for my wiper arms. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Mike Merchant

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 12:00:22 AM »
Jay - We had the same thing happen in our 06 Monty with downpour and heavy right to left cross wind. Problem was a cracked wiper motor housing where the shaft exits to the pivot, letting blade move too far past its return point and thus head for the mirror or whatever is off to the left. Once found it was a15 min repair to replace the wiper motor.                             
                                                                                                                                 Mike

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 08:40:14 PM »
Jay
           Give me a call, if you haven't had your wiper replaced yet. I went through this on my 08.

Larry Dedrick
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 11:51:30 PM »
Same thing happened to us in 2012.  Beaver Coach Service replaced the stripped one and the other one since they were a troublesome and defunct model.  As I recall, Monaco had briefly switched to a cheaper brand ill-advisedly, and ultimately went back later;  but our coaches were caught on the wrong side of the timeline.  I think the good manufacturer was a Eugene area one.

Regardless, the labor and parts cost for us was $270, which included newer high-performance boomerang style blades at $46@.  The 2 arms totaled $80.  The service receipt doesn't layout the brand, but BCS part no. was 352-0125 for the arms and 23-6343 for the blades.  You might ring up BCS parts for more information.

As Ed says, you need to know exactly which parts are damaged.  If it's indeed more than just the arm, the cost will be higher than mine.

Joel
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:57:23 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Robert Wagner

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 04:09:40 AM »
I had a problem like that. I used a washer on and tightened it down. No problem since

Jimmy Garcia

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 08:28:41 PM »
Good day all,
How and where did you get the replacement spline from?  Had the same thing happen driving and wipers off the driver side.  The shaft is history.  Would appreciate any tips or instructions regarding this repair.  Thanks again.  Have a pleasant day.  Cheers, JG

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 11:09:01 PM »
You might contact AM Equipment in Jefferson, Oregon.  Many Beaver coaches used their units.
https://www.amequipment.com/shop?category=Wiper+Kits+%26+Components

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat