Author Topic: Fuse Panel Location 2003 Marquis  (Read 13997 times)

Michael Hannan

Fuse Panel Location 2003 Marquis
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:48:09 PM »
Hello.  I have lost power to the driver's 12v outlet & Bay lights.  I searched the forums for the fuse panel location but failed to find a fuse panel (at least something I'd recognize to be one) in the driver's side electrical bay. I checked the 12v panel in the bedroom but none of the breakers/fuses have tripped and none appear to control my problem systems.  I checked under the dash driver's side but don't see anything there.  Can anyone help please?

Thanks
MJ

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Fuse Panel Location 2003 Marquis
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 01:38:44 AM »
Look for a GFI?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Michael Hannan

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 03:10:25 AM »
GFI is for 110 ac no?

Michael Hannan

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 04:15:17 AM »
After searching I found a schematic of the driver side electrical bay.  It shows amperage values on the terminals.  Is there a replaceable fuse under each terminal?  Is it a standard auto type fuse or something I probably haven't seen before.

Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:03:23 AM »
Michael,
Those are circuit breakers, not fuses. To reset them, power needs to be removed and reapplied. I think the circuit that is impacting you is on the Batt. side, not the ignition side since teh 12v power outlet and bay lights normally work even when the ignition is off. I think that opening the chassis battery disconnect switch for a few seconds should reset the breaker, if that is what the  problem is.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Michael Hannan

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 07:47:38 AM »
Thanks Steve.  I'll check it out tomorrow in the light of day.

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »
Michael and Steve,

I believe those breakers are thermal type which means they open with current flow that is too high based on the rating. Little silver rectangles under the copper busses on one end, with nutted terminals and the load connected by wire to the other lug. When you find the right breaker, there is no reset per say, if it is open it should reset itself unless it has fused open or just fell apart inside. Steve's method of resetting would work in that if the current load was too high, killing all the power allows it to cool, but cooling takes some time and it is not an electronic instant reset. If functional it would also reset itself as it cooled.

You can use an automotive resetable breaker with a button on it and a couple of wires to temporarily diagnose this or a fuse holder and some fuses. If there is no open or short in the circuit then a new breaker will fix this, if there is an open or short you can use the temporary breaker or fuse while diagnosing the problem. Hope this helps.

Later Ed

Michael Hannan

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 11:35:48 PM »
Ed are the fuses underneath regular automotive style fuses?

Thanks
MJ

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 04:30:23 AM »
Michael,

If you are asking about a temporary fuse to diagnose or by pass a bad thermal breaker, I was referring to a standard 12V plastic top color coded (for amps) fuse with two prongs. They are used in any modern car, come in several physical sizes, either would work along with an inline wire harness socket that you can get at any automotive store. It is a rubber socket, sometimes with a weather seal cap that can go down over the fuse and typically two red wires that come out of the rubber socket base. A 15 to 20 amp fuse would most likely work for a bypass to a faulty breaker as a temporary measure or for diagnostic use. The physically smaller size fuses may not go as high as 20 amps, not exactly sure where the cut off is.

I have a 2002 Marquis and I am assuming that your front panel below the drivers seat is similar to mine but I am not sure of that. If you want to post a fairly close up picture of a section of your copper busses and wiring I could tell if you have thermal breakers.

Later Ed

Michael Hannan

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:54:40 PM »
I had trouble resizing the photo small enough to post.

MJ

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
           Mike,

What they are sharing with you is the circuit breakers are mounted horizontal behind the copper strips. Example is the strip on the left of your photo has 8 circuit breakers. The 12volt power source goes to the common copper strip. The load side (output) goes to each respective wire or circuit. A simple test light can check operation by attaching the test light to the ground bar and touching each output wire. Note, the circuit you are looking for is NOT on the ignition circuit which is only powered when the key is on. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Michael Hannan

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 01:43:06 PM »
Thanks Fred.  By common ground bar do you mean the two ground terminals to the right of the windshield washer reservoir?

MJ

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
           Mike,

Just below the 8 circuit breakers on the left of your photo is the ground bar strips. Didn't see the washer reservoir in your photo. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 10:35:47 PM »
           Mike,

What they are sharing with you is the circuit breakers are mounted horizontal behind the copper strips. Example is the strip on the left of your photo has 8 circuit breakers. The 12volt power source goes to the common copper strip. The load side (output) goes to each respective wire or circuit. A simple test light can check operation by attaching the test light to the ground bar and touching each output wire. Note, the circuit you are looking for is NOT on the ignition circuit which is only powered when the key is on. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred, just wanted to say thanks, that was the best description I've seen on the CBs.  I have heard of them since I bought the coach.  I thought that maybe I had fuses somewhere because I didn't recognize, until now, what they were.  Again, thanks.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Michael Hannan

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 03:49:42 AM »
Hello.  It has been awhile since I first started this thread.  A lot has happened that caused me to put this off until today.  So this what has happened.

I removed the porch lightbulb to see if it was good.  It appeared as though the filament was still intact and a did a continuity test from wire to contact and it Ohm'ed out showing a connection.
Today I used the meter to check for voltage at the terminals on TB1 that are connected to the porch light.  Bothe showed a very small reading while the light switch was both off & on.  However, when I went back into the coach, the step light that had also not been working was now working.  So I shut the switch off and replaced the porch lightbulb.  Now neither the porch light nor the step light are working.  So I'm stumped.
Any ideas?

MJ