Author Topic: Kwikee Electric Step Manfunction  (Read 6141 times)

JCMillerSr

Kwikee Electric Step Manfunction
« on: December 31, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »
Our 1992 Marquis is equipped with what I believe is a set of Model #860 electric steps.  Everything seems to be functioning properly except for the fact that the step has suddenly decided to extend/retract every time the door is opened or closed.  The system is equipped with a magnetic latch and when the latch is removed the step remains in the extended position.  There is also a door step switch that when activated is supposed to retract the steps whenever the door is in the closed position.  I replaced the switch but the problem did not resolve itself. 

Before beginning the lengthy troubleshooting processes in the manual I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced a similar problem and could share what they found to be the problem.  As long as the magnetic latch is in place the steps properly retract when the ignition is on or retract/extend whenever the door is opened or closed.  I prefer that the steps lock in place when we are parked for extended periods since I always seem to be in a hurry and sooner or later will step out before the steps have fully extended and either damage to steps or myself. Suggestions anyone?

By the way, this problem did not start until we drove through a major rainstorm yesterday so there is a chance that moisture could be the culprit.

Jack

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Re: Kwikee Electric Step Manfunction
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »
JC:
        Not sure if your steps are the same as ours (2008), but that switch is to keep the steps from Retracting when the door is open and closed multiple times while parked at the rv site. With the switch in the opposite position of what you described, I would see if it cures your problem. One position does allow it to extend and retract with the door, the other position will leave them extended with door operation.
         Water could have intruded into your controller, I have had some issue with water but it was giving me a False extended warning. I don't know if wire position matters on the switch if it has been replaced.

PS: just looked ours up, they are Kwikee.

Good Luck.          Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

JCMillerSr

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:28:32 PM »
Larry,
Prior to yesterday if I had the step switch in the "on" position the steps would retract whenever the door was  closed. Turned off and the ignition off the steps extended the first time the door is opened and stayed in that position until turned back via the ignition or step switch. Now no matter what I do the steps extend and/or retract every time the door opens or closes.  I still think it may be a moisture issue but could be a bad switch.

Jack

Bob Baldwin

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:17:23 PM »
I had that same problem. After I clean all the plug connections  with a small wire brush and some scotch bright. Make sure you have a good ground on the frame. I had a can of spay connector cleaner I use too.  You can find at any auto parts store.  I did have one connector that was loose that I replaced .Also sprayed the steps with some white grease while I was under there. All is back to normal.   

JCMillerSr

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 12:57:11 AM »
Bob,

That pretty much describes my game plan to tackle this problem.  Since everything else is functioning properly it makes sense that it is either a bad or loose connection.  Driving back home to Florida on Sunday and anticipating more rain along the way so I will probably wait until next week to begin the process.  Already have the contact cleaner that I purchased while working on other issues.  Thanks for the advice.

Jack

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »
       Hi JC,
      When you take the black plug with the 4 wires apart, here is what each wire does: Red 10 gauge is the main power going to the step. Green 10 gauge is the main ground, White 14 gauge is the 12volt power coming from the step switch. Yellow 14 gauge is the ignition over-ride if you left the step out. The brown 14 gauge is the magnetic step reed switch which goes to ground when the door is closed. Happy New Year, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bob Baldwin

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »
Jack
We live in Mount Holly NC about 15 miles south of Charlotte. Trust us we know about the rain here as well.
 My wife and I are wanting to update to a  1992-1993 40 foot  Beaver Marquis with the Florentine or Regent floor plan. When at possible I like to see some pictures of yours