Author Topic: Brake Fluid Reservoir - checking levels  (Read 7986 times)

Dale Thompson

Brake Fluid Reservoir - checking levels
« on: December 24, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »
I just purchased a 2001 Beaver Contessa with a 2000 Magnum chassis. I brought it in to get serviced as I did not know when it was last done and the service rep said that there was a leak in one of the brake connections (fixed, I hope) and that the brake fluid was dangerously low. They fixed, refilled and bled the brakes. In reading the manuals it says to check the brake fluid level before every trip. I located the reservoir by crawling under the coach but it is located right at the front on the drivers side about a foot under the windshield wiper and I can barely touch the refill cap let alone check the level. Is there a magic trick to check the brake fluid reservoir? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

darell ottoson

Re: Brake Fluid Reservoir - checking levels
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:33:25 PM »
I have a 1996 Monterey and I accidentally found access to my brake reservoir. It is located where you described. My coach has a carpet like fitted cover over the dash. When it is removed there is a opening about 4" x 4" that is held in place by Velcro right over the reservoir. It is the same padded material as the padded dash. I removed it and below it is a round hatch about 4 " in diameter. Below it is the reservoir with two caps. I bought a hose that screws right to a quart or gallon bottle from Walmart for a couple of bucks that works well. Hope it helps Otto

Dale Thompson

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 09:41:58 PM »
Thanks for the info Otto but Beaver must have found a new hiding place for accessing the brake reservoir. I took the three screws out that attach the covering panel across the width of the coach to reveal another wood panel holding the vents for the front window with no access to anything under it. Access to the brake reservoir is still a mystery.

darell ottoson

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 03:04:17 AM »
Sorry Dale,  I wonder how the service people filled it ? Maybe they would help you? I am going to have mine bled and refilled this week I will ask if they know or have seen this and let you know on here. Good Luck Otto

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:25:07 AM »
I have a 2001 Contessa also and it is a pain to get to. I can barely reach the caps, so I have had my son reach in to check the levels.
I use a fitting with a j type fitting on it and hold it over and pump brake fluid in. Then he reinstalls the caps for me.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Dale Thompson

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 03:24:19 AM »
Thanks to all for the info. I really hate to modify something that I just purchased but the thought of going down a mountain without service brakes scares me more. With this in mind I removed the dash cover (3 screws) and cut a small hole beside the drivers side defrost vent. This gives me a good view and reasonably easy access to the brake fluid reservoir, about 16 inches below the hole. I put in a hinge and a bracket to close up the hole. It is a lot easier to get at than crawling under the motorhome. I included pictures if anyone wants to know where I put the access hole. Again, thanks for the replies.
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »
That looks like a good modification to me Dale.

Thanks for the pictures and for sharing it with us.

I will add it to my list of mods to do. I am working on the bed support rods now... ;)
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl