Author Topic: Entry Step  (Read 5610 times)

Jim Shaw

Entry Step
« on: January 07, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
I replaced my entrance in the summer, it was easy and worked great. Coach has been parked for a couple of months, went out to it a couple of weeks ago and the step would not extend. I checked all the wiring connections and the magnetic switch position in the  door bur nothing worked. The temperature has been unseasonably warm here in NC and we have had a lot of rain. The temperature has dropped to the 20's at night. I know this sounds weird but went out a couple of days ago and it worked like new. Has anyone had this to happen or maybe have a logical explanation for this an no I am not dreaming.
Jim

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Entry Step
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »
It may have developed a bit of rust on the motor, lightly tap the motor and give it a try.  I would cut the power off before I did this to ensure it does not come out while your under there.....

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:40:07 AM »
Jim,
There is no telling what caused your inoperative steps. It could have been a poor contact in the wiring or motor as Tom pointed out. It could also be battery related if you were not plugged in and the rainy weather would not let the solar panels keep the batteries up. If it quits again you will have the opportunity to locate the problem then.

Remember one thing, if it is working now it is usually almost impossible to tell what was wrong 2 months ago. Like I use to tell my customers when they wanted me to fix something that happened one time and never again, "I can't fix it if it isn't broke".

Gerald   

Jim Shaw

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »
You are correct Gerald you can't fix what not broke. I feel it may be related to the weather or when I was checking it I may have created a better connection. I will just need to wait and see. As a side note I purchased my new step from amazon for about half of Quickie's price.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 02:10:35 PM »
              Hi Jim,

The  replacement steps that kwikee make have a feature called "last step out" What that means is this: If the coach has the step in the stow position and the entry switch is in the "off position", there is a capacitor inside the controller that has enough stored energy to extend the step one time. This came about over a law suit when a customer stowed the step from inside the coach and turned the step off at the entry door switch and then became distracted. He later exited the coach and fell out hurting himself. Sometimes this capacitor looses its charge and the step won't extend after stowed. Because the step gets its power from the chassis battery, my suggestion is to start the coach and cycle the entry step switch. All of sudden the step starts working like there was no problem. I call it the Kwikee Enigma! Hope this helps. Regards Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Jim Shaw

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 05:46:56 PM »
Thanks Fred it is working now, but if it quits again I will try your fix.