Author Topic: Power pole issues  (Read 6454 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Power pole issues
« on: January 12, 2016, 03:10:40 PM »
We arrived in Bonita Springs yesterday afternoon and set up. 50 amp service at the power pole. It was kind of chilly out so we had the heat pumps running about 8:30 p.m., when suddenly all shore power shut off. It lasted about 20-30 seconds and came back on. I shut off the heat pumps while it was off. I looked at the Aladdin(after it came back on) and it said we had 120 on each leg.

Sometime during the night, it must have gone off again, and came back on, because my cpap recycled, which I didn't know about until I got up at 7:30 this morning.

Right now, both heat pumps are running. I have been watching the Aladdin and notice that the VAC goes up and down between a low of 115 and a high of 121. When both heat pumps are on, one is drawing 18-25 amps, and the other is drawing 15, pretty steadily.

Any ideas as to the cause, and remedy, would be appreciated.

As info, our coach has a built in surge protector. Also, the breaker at the power source never tripped. The power just went off for a few seconds and then came back on.

Thanks,

Stan
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:12:31 PM by Stan Simpson »
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Power pole issues
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »
It sounds to me like the energy company supplying power to the RV park had an intermittent outage.  There's nothing you can do about that... other than complain and submit a bill for any damages.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:50:40 PM »
It also sounds like you surge protector is doing it's job.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 05:57:10 PM »
Sounds like a brownout because of the extra power usage with everyone using their heaters and drawing more amps.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »
We have the Magnum inverter.  Ours was doing this but more dramatic swings.  It was the temp sensor on the batteries.  As soon as it was replaced the VAC normalized and stayed rock solid.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:41:44 AM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 12:37:11 AM »
Thanks all for the responses. I appreciate it.

I checked with the campground management, and they said there were no other known issues in the park yesterday. They asked me to keep them informed in the event it happens again. I asked neighbors on both sides of me, and they reported no issues.

I shut off the breaker at the power pole. Before I pulled the plug out to check the cord, I noticed that it was not inserted completely in to the socket. It was out less than 1/8 of an inch. I re-inserted it, snugly, and there have been no issues since. We have run both heat pumps and we have not had the same interruption. I don't know if the plug being a bit out impacted our service. I'm interested to hear what someone else thinks.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

john brunson

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 01:23:38 AM »
Power monitor/ surge suppressor is earning it's keep!   Phases buck and boost each other when you have a loose ground.  Most likely a loose ground inside the power pedestal since your suppressor is rejecting ....  Check the suppressor carefully and see if it has am alarm light or an alarm history light... If so, immediately look at that light when it happens agin.... If you catch it in the act, you will have a "Smoking Gun" for the campground electricians.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 02:43:13 AM »
It is highly possible that the receptacle is dirty and worn out or both, I have found a few park power receptacles that were is pretty sad shape have also had the Aladdin show that I had a open ground when first hooking up.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 05:58:52 PM »
It is highly possible that the receptacle is dirty and worn out or both, I have found a few park power receptacles that were is pretty sad shape have also had the Aladdin show that I had a open ground when first hooking up.

Lee,

Interesting about the open ground. I have noticed that too, on occasion. I'm not an electrician by any stretch. What exactly does it mean?

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

john brunson

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 06:59:57 PM »
a fully "open" ground is rarely what happens in actual practice.... what is almost always encountered is actually a loose ground connection... this means a partial ground and intermittent problem... if the ground is extremely loose, you can usually bang on the cover and see the voltage (either side against ground) fluctuate.  If this is your power pedestal at your lot, first step is to power down the pedestal, remove the cover and tighten all connections.  The loose connection will be very obvious.  This is a good practice even if no problems are manifesting themselves.  Worn plugs and receptacles are easy enough to fix.... get new ones from Lowes and replace