Author Topic: FUEL FILTERS CLARIFICATION FOR C9 CAT  (Read 9727 times)

LEAH DRAPER

FUEL FILTERS CLARIFICATION FOR C9 CAT
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:01:43 PM »
Am finally beginning to get clear the difference and terminology of primary vs secondary fuel filters.  What I can't seem get a CLEAR answer on is.....

For the Cat C9 (425 hp) what is the filter # for the Primary High Efficient filter
and what is the filter # of the secondary High Efficient filter.

I keep getting different information everywhere I have looked.  Amazon especially  BAD
 with accurate descriptions!!

And with this last discussion regarding coaches with bad fuel line,  Does anyone know if the
C9 engines had bad fuel lines installed from the factory?????

I am mechanically challenged here guys so help a female owner out please.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: FUEL FILTERS CLARIFICATION FOR C9 CAT
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 12:05:35 AM »
If you have the Beaver owner's manual, the part nos. should be in the service/specifications section, but entering your engine serial number at CAT's website should do it too.  Dave Atherton will probably be able to tell you here also.

https://parts.cat.com/AjaxCATPartLookupResultsView?catalogId=10051&requestType=1&langId=-1&storeId=21801&serialNumber=C9&keyword=Fuel%20filters&link=

I take part and model numbers with a grain of salt at Amazon.  What you think you're ordering isn't always what you get from that source, anyway.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:08:04 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:09:16 AM »
Leah Draper, don't blame yourself for not understanding about your C-9 Engine. First
of all, no the cat engine did not come from factory with the problem we are addressing. This
this is a builder aftermarket change. ( note: want to be clear builder in day when use
hydraulic hose was the correct thing industry felt was correct and has preformed trouble
free for many years. ) you as a motorhome owner are seeing the end of component life.

Question primary fuel filter. If you go away from aftermarket and put Cat primary filter
along with filter base and fitting here are the Cat Part numbers, filter element 133-5673,
water bowel collector 129-0375, filter base 137-4367, fitting 120-6726 need 2, o-ring
seal 3J-1907. Any question that I can help with your C-9 feel free to ask.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 05:15:36 AM »
Leah Draper, forget one thing you asked secondary fuel filter for a C-9 Engine.
Your fuel filter is IR-0751 and is a 2 micron filter. One thing I would allways
suggest using a 2 micron Cat only, ( use of non-cat fuel filters removes your
fail safe for your engine fuel system with engine ECM ) and puts your engine
risk. Next thought I would suggest and stay with Cat for all OEM parts and
stay away aftermarket parts. The word aftermarket just means what it says,
With the cost of your C-9 engine I would not think about aftermarket repairs
saving money. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 08:50:01 PM »
Dave
Appreciate your info on fuel filters for my C9 engine.  Have  been trying to compile a list for my next service tomorrow and I am confused still about your recommended primary
filter.  It appears to me that additional parts have to be added to the fuel system.  In looking on the cat parts online that there is a filter with water separator built into the primary filter that would not require additional parts.  The filter part # is 256-8753 Fuel Water Separator.

Wouldn't this work?   

I am going to Cat dealer,  have already had to replace all 6 fuel injectors, probably because I did not know about only using Cat parts till recently.

Leah

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 04:37:19 AM »
Leah, just getting ready to post information to correct hydraulic hose break down. The
correct Cat Part numbers for fuel/water filter.  137-4367 filter base, 129-0375 bowel,
133-5673 filter element, 120-6726 elbow fittings ( need 2 ) cost total $ 153.52

Cat fuel line from primary fuel filter to fuel transfer pump suction inlet.  Cat fuel line
part number 9X-2374, need: 44 inch long  @ .36 per inch $ 15.84, crimp hose ends
-8 JIC female swivel part number 92752 $ 8.69 each, $ 17.38 ( need 2 ), adapter 96515
steel fitting 37 C5315 Note: this adapter is used on C-12, C-13, C-15 fuel transfer pump
only. C-9, C-7, 3126 E, B, A do not use this adapter.

All parts were bought at Empire Cat, and above Cat Numbers should come up at any Caterpillar
Dealer. Besure to measure your replacement hose for correct length. connection to
engine with new replacement line is very easy and about 15 minutes.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic