Author Topic: Booster Switch problem  (Read 4334 times)

Mel Griffin

Booster Switch problem
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:10:15 PM »
My 2000 40' Patriot with a 3126-B Cat 330 H.P. has a problem with the booster soleniod, it is a White Rodger's, when plugged into 30 or 50 Amp it gets so hot you can hardly touch it.  It seems to be alyways on, like the boost  switch is always pushed on.  Is it normal for the coil to be so hot you can't touch it?  I took the switch wire off it so it releases the coil.

Also after being at a Campsite for 9 days, pluged into 50 Amp, my chassis battries went down to 11 volts, the coach battries measure 13.6 volts, shouldn't the chassis be charged while plugged in?

I thought both chassis and coach battries were charged when plugged into 30 or 50 Amp, is this true>  Thanks for any help in advance.

Miami Mel

Jim Shaw

Re: Booster Switch problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 01:14:12 AM »
Mel as I understand you should have a switch, I think it is called a Big Boy, that will let your inverter charger  charge your coach batteries once your house batteries are full charged. I had the problem a few years ago and Bend service center changed it, no more problems. Maybe Gerald will have more information.
Jim

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Booster Switch problem
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:31:18 AM »
Mel
My inexpert opinion is that you have more than one problem.  The chassis batteries should at least charge off the solar.  The draw on the chassis 12 volt may be through the booster switch.  Mine was just the oposite and didnt work at all.  The selenoid should be in the engine compartment on the passanger side but facing the rear of the coach.  These look like a standard Ford starter relay on the fire wall.  One is for the caoch power shut off.  Annother is for the booster, this one may be stuck closed and so is drawing constant power.
I hear lots of talk on the forum regarding an echo charger which diverts a small amount of power to maintain the chassis batteries while on shore power.  I dont have one and when solar is limited, the chassis batteries go down after 10 days so I use a charger to keep the up.  New batteries helped extend this period.
To sum up, replace the relay in the engine comaprtment and see if that helps.  They are available for around $20.
Hope this helps
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!