Author Topic: heater fans  (Read 6346 times)

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
heater fans
« on: March 08, 2016, 04:48:19 PM »
I am in the process of replacing my heater fans due to the noise level. I purchased some from aqua-hot, but they are too small. Aqua-hot does not carry a fan to fit my heat exchangers since they are Heater Craft. I have seen a lot of discussion on this topic. I just need a model number and company where I can purchase a much quieter fan. Mine are the pancake model for 2006 Beaver Monterey 40'.My fans are made by ETRI.
Thanks
Grant
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:52:19 PM by Grant Hayden »
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: heater fans
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:21:41 PM »
Did you look in the thread "Accessing heater/replacing fans in living room and bathroom?"  As I type this, that thread is immediately below this one.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
no, I will check it out.
Thanks
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:26:54 PM »
My thermostat has only ONE speed for the fans for the heating system. AC has auto, low, and High. I am looking for something that is a lot quieter than I currently have. The fans you mention seem to be loud if run on one speed. It appears different coaches have different thermostats, and heater registers. Thanks
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:06:52 PM »
A year or two after we bought our coach new, this topic came up.  Consensus was there were quieter versions available, but the thread here probably got lost when the Forum was reconfigured a few years back.  And I never proceeded with the conversion, probably due to financial straits at the time.  I've since forgotten the recommended alternative make and model.

The noise is so annoying that to watch TV or converse with guests, I leave only the rear thermostat on, maybe a small electric heater in the bath pointed forward, or use the rear heat pump since some heat flows through the forward roof ports.  The wife is very cold-sensitive, so those aren't ideal options.  One should be able to heat the front of the coach directly without dealing with the fan racket, and it's one of the few real gripes we have ... that a quality coach like Beaver would not have used better units.

If you check with Beaver Coach Sales parts dept., they may be able to offer some direction.  If you come up with potential options, be sure to post them here.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 10:25:23 PM »
I know that ITR, the manufacturer of the Hurricane and Oasis systems, sells some of the Heater Craft parts.  You might want to give them a call.  Our Hurricane system has two fan speeds; they are selected from switched mounted on cabinets and are not integrated with the thermostats.  As far as I can tell, the low speed setting simply puts a resistor in series with the fans which has the result of reducing the voltage supplied to them.  It's not an efficient approach and the resistor does get quite warm, but it is sized appropriately for the heat dissipation.  Maybe this approach would work with the OP's fans.  When ours are run on high speed they are also annoyingly loud but we rarely have to run them at that speed.

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:47:08 PM »
I know heater craft sells the fans, but they are what I currently have in the motor home. Still searching.
thanks
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 12:24:49 AM »
I found an old Beaver forum posting when I googled my problem. It recommended using  Silent ixtrema pro fans. 120MMx38MM.
There were 2 mentioned a 72 CFM & a 90CFM.  I ordered some and will see how they work out. The size is the same as the heater craft model I currently have in my coach. The noise levels were 14db & 18db.  I ordered the 90CFM with the 18db level.
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 01:27:56 AM »
I know heater craft sells the fans, but they are what I currently have in the motor home. Still searching.
thanks

I guess you misunderstood the purpose of my post.  If your Heater Craft fans are too noisy, I was suggesting that a Heater Craft speed switch of the type we have installed would help you create a less noisy slow speed.

Mike Groves

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 02:43:20 PM »
Grant, it sounds like even though your control system is different the fan size and also your "pancake" heaters are exactly like those in the "SMC Era Beavers" like mine.  For me the low fan speed simply didn't produce heat fast enough, and so I went with the high speed 140cfm (45db).  Even though they are a little louder on the hi-speed than the stock fans, some of the noise is muffled by the installation itself, and when I turn the switch to low speed as Joel indicates it quiets down. 

As I've examined these heater units, it seems to me that these fans will fight themselves as they pull air in and the angle means a lot of that air is bounced around inside these slim units rather than directly blowing over the hot coil.  Therefore, the CFM rating is further cut down by this angle, so at the low CFM number you've mentioned, that CFM number will be further restricted. 

I replaced mine because even on hi-speed of the stock units, I could barely feel air coming out.  Now, true, some of that was the dirty units but I think most of it is the design of these pancake units.  I don't know that they are even still available but wouldn't be surprised that they've been discontinued.  I didn't find them in the Oasis Combi manual, but they are in the old Hurricane Manual.

Oh, just FYI for others - since I didn't need it I removed my Hurricane Reservoir Tank in the engine compartment and simply connected the two 5/8in pex hoses with a length of silicone heater hose (the Oasis Combi has this reservoir built into the unit with overflow tank as well).  I guess these items don't go bad but does anyone need one of these tanks?

Mike

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 11:55:59 PM »
Thanks. I will let you know how they work. I should have them next week, and installed shortly after that.
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp