Author Topic: ED Buker How about an update on your roof coating  (Read 6270 times)

Gary Wolfer

ED Buker How about an update on your roof coating
« on: March 14, 2016, 05:07:38 AM »
Well it is 2016 and My dicor went thru two winters and has a few small patches that wrinkled where water was standing on the roof and will need recoating. Just curious after 6 or 8 years how your marine deck coating is holding up? Have you had to recoat any of it again? I may resand mine next summer and try coating with your Rustolium marine deck paint. Seems like the dicor is about a 2 year life before recoating. I have found most of my leak problems have not come off the roof they come from the rain gutters because they are screwed or riveted on and they are covering where the roof panel meets the sidewall. Just curious how the Marine Deck treatment is holding up.

Edward Buker

Re: ED Buker How about an update on your roof coating
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:10:03 PM »
Gary,

It is still just fine, no loss of adhesion, no blisters etc. It was painted in 2010, so it has had 5 full summers of sun and travels as a test. It may be just a little less reflective but that is hard to judge. I lightly pressure washed it this fall after returning home from summer travels and it came clean easily. There is no sign of oxidation from the paint causing any streaks like the gelcoat did and I do not expect that I would have to repaint it anytime soon from what I see. I still see no downside to the Rustoleum Topside/Deck paint for our roofs. Not sure about how it would work over another coating.

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 06:10:58 AM »
Good to hear from you. I am impressed. Living here on the Oregon Coast I should have been aware of it. I only have problems with the Dicor where the water puddles on the roof like next to the rear air conditioner and the sky light. and near the front air conditioner.  Even when It has shriveled and peeled it has not leaked fortunately but I do not know how many more years I will be able to climb up and recoat it every couple years. We have had more rain this winter than the last few years. El Nino I guess. I have had problems with the drivers side bedroom window leaking and a leak under the shower. I have been fighting it and trying to find the leaks for the last two winters. I finally found the source last week. The water is coming in through the screw holes in the gutters. The gutters cover the seam between the roof panel and the sides I found the leak by covering the screw areas and above the gutters with Gorilla tape. That stuff is a life saver. It fortunately comes in white and my coach is white and blue. It is a temporary fix but the gorilla tape will hold tight for a couple of years if necessary. I have been thinking about eliminating the gutters all together. When it rains it flows over the gutters anyway. and with a front door when it rains hard the rain drops down over the door so when I open the door the inside the door and I both get soaking wet. It has been a real challenge living year round on the Oregon Coast but it is paradise to me. Thanks for answering me Ed I appreciate all the help you have given me over the years. By the way I have learned of something that will help everyone here living here where the salt destroys most all metals. There are two products that are a must here one is corrosion block and the other is corrosion x. They stop corrosion immediately and will stop rust. They are the best thing you can get to spray on electrical connections. I have sprayed it on my outboard boat motor and all electrical connections on every thing I have. It saved me from buying a new transmission in my ford crew cab. The manufacturer did a test on the corrosion block by spraying a light bulb and socket and a few minutes later stuck it in a tub of water and the light bulb was still working under water. No shocks or blown bulbs. All the commercial fishermen here swear by it and spray everything with it. You can buy small amounts at Napa or most marine stores like Englund Marine or West Marine. I would suggest everyone try it. I have even sprayed the outside electric panel under the drivers seat. in the outside compartment. After spraying my 130 hp honda engine last year there is no corrosion or rust under the engine cover or anywhere else. I am a believer.
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »
Gary,

Glad you found your leaks, luckily I do not have any but I have resealed in vulnerable places and under those screw heads on the roof to sidewall trim strip with the rubber insert. 

I have been using corrosion X for years on electrical connections as part of my maintenance on the RV and on my boat. It was invented for the Navy and I have posted on the forum several times about its use. I had to buy a new Echocharger due to board corrosion of land patterns last summer and noticed the new unit also did not have a coated board. Terrible design issue given the environment. I sprayed the new unit before installing it until Corrosion X dripped out everywhere and posted about that. I am gad you brought this subject up again so folks get some and spray all the electrical connections that are exposed to the elements.

Enjoy your stay on the coast, we were in Newport for three weeks last summer in the RV and enjoyed the break from the heat but it is a punishing area for metals. It is too cold for me for a winter stay, but hearty souls do love it there.

Later Ed

Andy Clark

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »
Boeshield works well, too. Will not wash off after it dries. Been using it for years for corrosion protection; first on the boat and now on the land yacht.
Andy
Andy Clark
1995 Patriot 37
300HP Cummings 6CTA8.3
Camano Island WA

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:39:31 PM »
How about using the Corrosion X or other brands mentioned on battery terminals/cables?  Sounds ideal.  Thanks
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 04:40:42 AM »
Jerry,

Corrosion X may work but I have never used it for battery terminals and have not read the label to see if it includes battery terminals in its list. I have used it as a moisture displacer and coating to prevent salt related corrosion and oxidation.

I have used CRC battery terminal spray that is red in color and I give the terminals a light coating. It is made specifically for the battery corrosion chemistry that is involved and works well.

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 08:27:13 PM »
Thanks Ed.  I may try it to see what happens, after my summer trip.  Retire 22 April.  First long trip starting 23 April, don't want any failed experiments to rear their ugly head. 
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH