Author Topic: Steering Wheel Alignment  (Read 6405 times)

Roy Deeble

Steering Wheel Alignment
« on: February 19, 2016, 08:54:32 PM »
My 05 Monterey smart steering wheel top points to eleven o'clock when traveling straight and I want to orient it to top dead center.  A local RV service center tells me the only way to correct this is to remove and rotate steering wheel because it can't properly be corrected with the steering linkage.  I called the steering wheel manufacturer and chief designer says unless the wheel has been previously removed and rotated it's orientation is most likely a front end alignment issue.  It appears to me a turn or two on the drag link could correct this issue.  Does anyone have any experience with correcting the steering wheel orientation?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Steering Wheel Alignment
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »
Consider an alignment. They will straighten it at that time. Unless someone has mis-aligned the wheel on the shaft, it probably arrived at its current position due to alignment (or lack thereof).
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roy Deeble

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 10:00:33 PM »
I concur Steve, but the coach tracks true and tire wear is even.  I suspect it was aligned without consideration to the steering wheel orientation.  I think I will attempt a minor adjustment to drag link which shouldn't affect the alignment although might affect left to right turn limits and or turn signal operation.  If any of this occurs it can be easily reset and I will be off to good alignment shop.  The idea that the only way to correct this issue is remove and rotate the steering wheel, according to the RV shop, doesn't seem logical to me.

The following users thanked this post: Robert Fish

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 04:29:29 AM »
Roy,
It does sound like when last aligned they did not get the wheel straight and yes you could run the drag link in or out to get it at TDC,
When I first bought my PT the steering had about 2" of free play, crawled under and discovered the the drag link clamp was just hanging there loose as a goose. Took it to the alignment shop and had the whole thing checked out end to end and all was good.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
Roy,
On many coaches, the drag link is staked in location at the rear "tie rod end". This is done to maintain it's proper orientation with the sub frame. The only way to adjust the drag link on these coaches is to remove the drag link from the pitman arm and rotate the "tie rod end" on the front end of the drag link. This will have no effect on the alignment other than allowing you to canter the steering wheel.

Most shops remove the steering wheel and rotate it because it is a lot easier. The only problem with pulling the wheel and rotating it is that the Smart Wheel clock spring can become off centered enough to brake if you are not careful.

Gerald     

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
If you remove the adjusting end to the drag link you will need a large pickle fork and sledge hammer. And the possibility of damaging the the grease boot. Better to carefully remove steering wheel with caution. Better yet let an alignment shop do it.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Roy Deeble

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 11:02:50 PM »
Thanks Lee & Gerald,
I glanced at my drag link and noticed the adjustment on the front, but didn't check for an adjustment at the rear. I hadn't considered removing it from the pitman arm to adjust.  If I remove the steering wheel is there any trick to removing the cover?  I've got a wheel puller in the garage somewhere and by the way VIP cautioned me on clock spring breakage so that made me a bit hesitant to proceed, but no risk no reward for a dedicated do it yourself home mechanic.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 11:09:39 PM »
The other issue with the drag link is that it doesn't have a sleeve with clamps on each end. When off you have to turn in or out 360 degrees. Unlike a tie rod adjustment were small adjustment can be made.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 11:46:44 PM »
I would do the drag link, not nearly and much to go wrong. Just me.