Author Topic: AUX. 12 volt air compressor not working  (Read 4438 times)

Tom Fisher

AUX. 12 volt air compressor not working
« on: February 29, 2016, 04:02:00 AM »
Hi again fellow Beaver owners. I have two problems. When I arrive at site, I usually auto level with the HWH leveling system. It works great. Some times I manually try to level higher, to keep from having to re-level so often. The red needle in the pressure gauge drops to -0- in the first 4 to 6 days. The rear gradually lowers, until the front releases air to auto level. This continues until I have to start up the RV and re-level, every week to two. The 12 volt aux. air compressor never kicks on to help the system stay level. I will try to find the air leak, or leaks as soon as I can get over a pit. I don't trust my knowledge of the system to feel comfortable that i won't gets smashed. I jumpered the air compressor and it kicked on.  The green needle is still holding at the 70 lb reading. Any idea what I should try to test next without releasing air allowing the rv to lower while I am under the front by the 12 volt compressor?
Also does it hurt the rv unit or air bags to dump the air and sit at it's lowest level? I am in AZ now and will be in CO in about a month and a half. I don't know who to go to that is experienced in the air bag leveling system and won't take two days trying to educate themselves on it. Thank you for your help!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: AUX. 12 volt air compressor not working
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
Tom, when my coach refused to maintain level while I was parked it turned out to be the control board that was faulty.  It was not sending the 12V power/signal to the aux. pump to turn it on.  New board fixed it.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
Tom,
Massey's Diesel in west Phoenix would be able to help you. Call first as they can get quite busy. Ask for Tom.
(602) 233-1700
1417 S 59th Ave
Phoenix, AZ  85043

Steve

BTW, Would be helpful if you noted coach model, year, and engine.
Thx.
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 10:06:40 PM »
If you enter "compressor" in the search field here, you'll get lots of results from over the years.  You have to pass over the threads that refer to air conditioning and engine compressors;  the search feature won't work properly when I also enter the words "air" or "auxiliary", at least not for me.  I know there was at least one really helpful and thorough thread discussing the electrical circuit and air line connections for the HWH auxiliary unit, but I can't find it.  You might check this one at least:    http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3049.msg22865.html#msg22865

It's seems apparent your pump motor is okay, despite common issues with its inherent design and location.  I'd backtrack the pump wiring and check all connections for integrity and minimum amp resistance.  There is a pressure-sensing switch involved, and some have had bad boards in the controller, which I think is either directly under the switchpad or in the large HWH modules on the roof of the electrical bay, streetside foremost.  You can put an adequately sized block or stand under the right front frame and body for safety when working around the compressor. 

As to your question re. leveling in camp, Tom, I don't always auto-level directly off Travel Mode because all too often the steps end up uncomfortably high for my wife to negotiate, and I have to put down our special step stool out there.  That's okay, but by airing down after putting out the slides, and then auto or manually leveling, we usually get by without the extra step.  When parked in storage on our home pad, I dump all the air also, so the windshield and other body components aren't stressed when one corner otherwise inevitably leaks down, twisting things.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat